GenCon?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

Moderator: Global Moderator

jrdnwheeler

GenCon?

Postby jrdnwheeler » Tue May 26, 2015 6:16 pm

I just listened to ep 114 (I know I am behind) and the gang was talking about Gen Con. I started looking at this and realized that it is only about a 6 hour drive for me (not bad for someone in Missouri) and that it is coming up at the end of July. Thought I might see if anyone here had experience with it and if there might be a Geekly booth.
I walk a fine line of upstanding, responsible adult and terrible, probably should live in my parent's basement nerd.

Happypuke

Re: GenCon?

Postby Happypuke » Wed May 27, 2015 1:20 pm

I have been to Gencon twice, and am going again this year. It is fun! Lots to do, and lots to see :)

Frothy Loins

Postby Frothy Loins » Wed May 27, 2015 6:09 pm

I went last year, had a great time. My criticism would be that its tabletop focused con, and so few tables! Essentially the only areas are around interior food vendors, after purchasing a bounty of new board games then having no place to post up and play your games. I also sprung for the 4 day pass, by the the third day many booths closed due to selling out of their respective wares. It was quite the feeding frenzy the first two days, didn't even go fourth day with so many booths closed on the third day and having seen everything. If you go, definitely get there first two days, also there are multiple good restaurants within walking distance, food in convention center terrible, food trucks outside pretty meh, literally half of of them sold bbq. Was excited to see a row of 30 food trucks, I'm from N.Y. and have a healthy respect for them but half of them selling the exact same thing and not a single one selling breakfast? booooo. Got lured into star wars x-wing... played a demo and ended up dumping almost 200$ into the game. Real easy to get caught up in the scene, there will be a pile of stuff you want to buy. I stopped by an outlet to charge my 3DS next to an atm, watched guys online pulling out hundreds to go back to show floor. i caught one dudes eye as he pulled out what must of been five or six hundred bucks. I said "This place is dangerous. I put 350$ in cash in my wallet and called that my limit. That is almost gone." Dude laughed, said "I pretty much did the same. This my third trip to the cash machine." I wished him good luck. It is a fun event, you into board games its a good time. Expect the typical con stench, lol, gencon blew away pax on nerd odor, especially by the third day. Overall a great time. always nice meeting with similar minded peeps.

-Frothy

Josketh

Postby Josketh » Fri May 29, 2015 1:24 am

I'm so upset that Con Odor is even a thing. It's 2015, there are resources out there to keep yourself and your outfits fresh. I mean like generic baby wipes can get as cheap as like 97 cents. There really is no excuse. lol

Frothy Loins

Postby Frothy Loins » Fri May 29, 2015 4:18 am

I feel you, in this day and age were being a nerd is cool, your not getting the shit kicked out of you for playing 2nd edition in the library on your recess or wearing a Nintendo T shirt gets you slapped around... Lets not perpetuate the trope of the "stinky geek". inevitably though every con I attend you walk past someone that makes your eyes water like you just popped open your glove box and found a whopper extra onions from three weeks ago. We are better than this guys! Rally for the shower.

Frothy

Grrrr

Postby Grrrr » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:17 pm

I love gencon!! Lots to do. I would start looking through the gencon website for things you would like to do. And also are a couple of hotels right next to the con that are in cooperation with the con. Some events are held in these hotels. There are events that actually run 24 hours a day. It is kind of a pain to find a table to play newly acquired games on. The first thing I'm doing is getting my zombie ribbon. And I don't think gamer funk will ever be beat.

Return to “General Discussion”