Comic readers (Marvel Unlimited)?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

Moderator: Global Moderator

Bearded Draggon

Comic readers (Marvel Unlimited)?

Postby Bearded Draggon » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:35 pm

So I am trying to get back in to comics. The issue is I don't like what a lot of the new DC?Marvel stuff have done. Am I wrong in thinking so? Here is what I want to know.

IS Marvel Unlimited worth the price?

Is there anything I should be reading in the "Big 2"?

What about indy comics? I started reading Saga but interested in more stuff.

If you have not read I Kill Giants, Do yourself a favor and read it.

GeekLink

Re: Comic readers (Marvel Unlimited)?

Postby GeekLink » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:36 am

It's hard for me to answer because I love what's happening in X-Men right now. I've just recently been catching up through Comixology, buying up a lot of the issues when they're on sale. The past several years have been insane for the X-men.

GhostCross

Postby GhostCross » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:24 pm

I definitely think there are a few bright spots in both houses. Court of owls and the following Joker arc were amazing for Batman, X-Men is making the right moves for me(making Jubilee interesting, an all female team is neat, and of course I'm super stoked Nightcrawler is back, Constantine is solid although not quite as good as it was pre marvel. Captain Marvel is solid as well. I hear good things about Spider-man lately too but I have never really been a big fan of his. There is actually a huge ground swell happening of great new titles from outside the big 2. I stray more towards the darker/"horror" series but 10 Grand, American Vampire, and coffin hill are all great and you aren't too far behind. I am also loving almost everything Dynamite is doing. They gobbled up all of the older out of print properties and are going full on Noir with it bringing back The Shadow, The Spirit, The Phantom and so on. They even have a great team up comic called Legenderry that puts them all into steampunk universe which is actually a lot of fun. I could suggest a lot more but maybe if you want to let me know more of what you are looking for I can direct you more effectively.

Bearded Draggon

Postby Bearded Draggon » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:15 am

Im looking for an array of different things. I will definitely have to check the others out now that I know Nightcrawler is back. he is one of my favorites!I will check those horror ones out too, as i have never really read anything like that.

Tylerjferrara

Postby Tylerjferrara » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:26 am

I haven't been reading much DC but there are a,axing things going on at Image and Marvel. On marvels side you have the recently finished Avengers Undercover, Daredevil, Thor, Ultimate Spider-man and many more. At Image they are creating a new great book pretty much every month like Black Science, Low and Saga. As far as the unlimited service goes it doesn't have anything current but it should have most everything up until the last 6 months and they are always adding more. So if you wanted to play catch-up that would be the way to go, especially if you out wanted to read a bunch.

Bearded Draggon

Postby Bearded Draggon » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:39 am

Saga is fantastic. i will definitely check out the others you mentioned.

asantelli

Postby asantelli » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:34 am

to weigh in I'd have to agree that Black Science is a great read if you have ever even been remotely interested in alternate dimensions also as I'm sure everyone here is a roleplay fan the two Pathfinder mini series have also been quite fun

Dangerlane90

Postby Dangerlane90 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:11 am

Rat queens for sure. If you're on this board then you'll like it. Its by image comics.
DM: Are you sure?
Me: Well now I'm not!

Riddler_Justin

Postby Riddler_Justin » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:08 pm

Now that Image has been brought up and we've diverged from Marvel-only, I'd like to recommend Chew and Skullkickers. Both are awesome titles, although I'm very far behind on Skullkickers. But, Chew? Gah, I love it with every issue!

Oh, and The Manhattan Projects is good, too.

Cathandrius

Postby Cathandrius » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:02 pm

The new Moon Knight with Warren Ellis is very good, even if you've never read the character before

Jinksey

Postby Jinksey » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:59 am

Growing up as a kid, I was incredibly into comics (mostly 90s era X-Men titles and other Marvel titles). When I went to college, I kinda dropped the habit. Over the summer, after seeing the latest X-Men, I had a thirst for more comic goodness and ended up getting a Marvel Unlimited subcription.

Here are my thoughts:

1) Comics look GREAT on an iPad. The size/form-factor of an iPad (I have an iPad Air) is perfect for comics, and the display is awesome for the colors/pencils.

2) One time I tried to read comics in a web browser on my computer. This SUCKED. The general widescreen aspect ratio and the navigation felt weird.

3) The subscription is priced okay. It's not a steal and it's not expensive. You get access to a pretty huge backlog of Marvel titles. Most of the big titles like X-Men, Avengers, Spider-Man go back for decades; other more obscure titles are hit and miss but they are adding things over time. For current titles, you can get access to everything up to 6 months ago (e.g. you don't get access to the latest and greatest). This was fine for me, since I had so much to catch up on.

4) The Marvel Unlimited iOS app is OKAY. Viewing comics is a pretty great experience (see (1) above), but the app as a whole leaves a lot to be desired. For example, organizing what comics you want to read is really hard, it's difficult to piece together cross-overs, and you can't just "subscribe" to a particular title to get new issues when they get uploaded to the service. This is tolerable, but a little frustrating.

Overall, I'd recommend folks check it out if you enjoyed comics and don't absolutely need the paper copy/collectible anymore.

Return to “General Discussion”