Serial

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

Moderator: Global Moderator

StephOKingston

Serial

Postby StephOKingston » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:23 am

So I know a lot of us have been binge listening to Serial ever since our Lord and Saviour Thrifty tweeted about it. I can't be the only one who caught completely up in less than 24 hours.

So thoughts? Do you think Adnan did it? Does anybody else feel weird going into theoryland about real people? Not to say don't post your theories, I just think it's weird that the same part of my brain that processes who is a mermaid in ASOIAF is in overdrive for this.

I think most people don't think Adnan did it by this point. But the thing I can't shake is, then who?

What do you guys think?

Kalabajooie

Re: Serial

Postby Kalabajooie » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:33 pm

The way the story has been shaping up, either Adnan genuinely didn't do it or he's the most amazing sociopath in the world. It's pretty clear that the cops had him pegged from the very beginning. Whether that's due to profiling, false certainty or framing, I don't know enough to speculate. Jay was probably coached to some extent and the passage of time has cemented Adnan's and Jay's friends' biases to a point where, if you start from scratch, I doubt you could form a coherent story. The fact that the series has gotten this far is astounding.
As for who, I don't even know if it would be possible to get an ID so long after the events since so much evidence has been lost. Serial killer? Stalker? Hae's new boyfriend's ex? I dunno.
Watch me play games and hear my sonorous voice at http://www.youtube.com/Kalabajooie
Check out my Twitter maybe. http://www.twitter.com/WhatIsAClayton

cannoncanon

Postby cannoncanon » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:36 am

OH MY GOD THE FORUM LOGGED ME OUT AND I LOST EVERYTHING

This post might get messy. I'm trying to organize it in a way where my thoughts make sense, but it might not work.

I keep flipping on whether I think Adnan did it or not. With the evidence from episode 9, though, I'm positive that it didn't happen the way the state put it. No phone at Best Buy, the timing having to be perfect to be able to get there and strangle her from right after school, Summer having seen and talked to Hae in the gym for at least 10 minutes after school. None of that adds up.

With Jay having led police to the car, it is definitely reasonable to assume that he did play some part in the murder, whether it was the actual murder, the aftermath, or just finding out about it later. That, and assuming he was not told about where the body was found before he went to the police with everything, he could not have known her body was in Leakin Park. There are a couple of theories I have with him.

The first is if he was the murderer. That obviously explains how he knows where the body and the car were. If Adnan had let him borrow his phone for some time, he could have made/received any calls that look suspicious. It does not explain the call to Nisha if the phone was given at the time that Adnan says he gives the phone to Jay. But I'm going to skip this for a minute and continue on. Now, why would Jay want to kill Hae? Well, the best way to lie is to keep as much of the truth in there as possible so you minimize the number of made up facts you have to remember. What if Adnan had been threatening Stephanie? Maybe it was a joke that got taken overboard, or maybe it was somewhat real and Adnan is not admitting to it because threatening someone for real would not help your murder case. Or perhaps it seemed like Adnan was moving in on Stephanie. He had gotten her a birthday present that year but Jay had not really given it a thought. If this type of thing happened over and over, Jay could see that as him moving in on his girl. And that inspired him to murder. Now why would he murder Hae instead of Adnan? Well, it could be killing his girl woudl be the best revenge, maybe Jay thought up the plan that would get Adnan in jail or get him the death sentence.

If Jay did not murder Hae, then he had to have helped in some way. If it was someone who is not in the story yet, well I don't know their motivation for killing her, but I can reasonably explain Jay's motivation for going along with it. Maybe he got involved with a heavier drug dealer and fell in debt and this was the way to repay that debt. I know they only mentioned weed in the story, but every weed dealer I know has some connections to harder drugs. Or maybe it was just someone threatening him or stephanie. Maybe it was that they both had it out for Adnan, but Jay didn't have the balls to kill, just to help out.

If it wasn't a stranger, AND we don't get into the messy details of "Maybe one of Hae's friend's snapped" then that leaves us mainly with Mr. S. His story just doesn't add up with how easily he found Hae's body. I don't like it and it doesn't add up. I don't have any evidence, so I can't really say anything more on this.

I had more the first time you guys, but this took too long to type out and I don't want to go into crackpot theories that don't involve Jay. He just knew too much to not have been involved.

Any counterpoints, better theories, debunking my theories, points that bolster my theories even more, or facts that I forgot, I would love to hear!

GeekLink

Postby GeekLink » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:01 am

I am a huge idiot, and I didn't realize that Serial was non-fiction until two episodes to the end. In my head I'd been thinking that of course Jay did it for story reasons. Adnan is the main character. But then again Jay is too obvious so maybe the author is going to make it someone else like Mr. Pisser.

Now that I know it's real, I don't know what to think.

Kalabajooie

Postby Kalabajooie » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:41 am

It was good to hear in the final episode that their investigation (or elements related to it; I was working at the time) actually turned up some basis to reopen the case and finally test the DNA in the samples. At the very least, if they can recover DNA from the evidence, the picture will be more complete in whatever direction it ultimately takes. Was it Adnan or the newly-suspected serial killer that was on parole? How was Jay involved? Was he really just a witness who was being blackmailed through threats to his loved ones? Was he an accomplice? It was also nice to finally hear from the new boyfriend.

Now that it's concluded, what do you guys think? Where will they go with their next investigation? Another unsolved crime, or perhaps some lighter fare?
Watch me play games and hear my sonorous voice at http://www.youtube.com/Kalabajooie
Check out my Twitter maybe. http://www.twitter.com/WhatIsAClayton

shawn

Postby shawn » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:21 am

GeekLink wrote:I am a huge idiot, and I didn't realize that Serial was non-fiction until two episodes to the end. In my head I'd been thinking that of course Jay did it for story reasons. Adnan is the main character. But then again Jay is too obvious so maybe the author is going to make it someone else like Mr. Pisser.

Now that I know it's real, I don't know what to think.

Don't feel bad, I initially thought it was a fictional story as well. I remember listening to the first episode and thinking they were doing a great job of of making it sound real. However, after the episode was over I did a quick google search and realized this shit is real. Then I made it a point to finish the series before reading anything else.

Anywhoo...you are not a huge idiot...or I'm also a huge idiot.

GeekLink

Postby GeekLink » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:05 am

Lol! Every week I'd hear them say you can go to their website to look over documents and listen to recordings, and I thought that was all part of the game. That the whole thing was a giant murder mystery ARG kind of deal.

Each episode is very thematic and self-contained, while advancing the story. They of course had time to edit and clump information together to make the whole thing digestible and not just the audio equivalent of a wall of text... but then even listening to the final episode they were getting new information while the podcast was airing!? Even now, knowing that it's real, the podcast still feels very fictional with all the last minute breaking information that lead up to the finale.

Bapperson
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Bapperson » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:42 pm

Woo, dead thread resurrection! Someone is making a new podcast about Adnan. Reviewing old stuff, exploring new stuff, made at least partly by lawyers. Just leaving this here:
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/adnan-syeds-story-continues-new-podcast/
- Ben/Bapperson/Bappy

Return to “General Discussion”