Any tips for a socially awkward persons first time?

Moderator: Global Moderator

emjay_sarcastic

Any tips for a socially awkward persons first time?

Postby emjay_sarcastic » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:17 pm

So this will be my first geeklycon. After pushing myself to overcome my social anxiety and severe depression, I wanna come meet people who share the same interest. Was wondering also any pointers for a newbie? I'm all caught up on Drunks and Dragons and super excited to meet the cast. They have helped me more through the years then anyone. When I moved to a whole new state and didn't know anyone, no friends, new job, I quickly became engulfed in the podcast. After slowly coming out of my shell I have found a few people at my job who listen as well. Unfortunately they will not be attending. So I guess maybe make some new friends before arriving. I am 28 transgender male (FTM). Super socially awkward and kinda wanna make friends who have the same interest. Sorry if this is just a ramble. Also Tim, if you read this, I will review the podcast tonight. (I know I know another slabber who hasn't done there part.)

StmpnkPlgDr

Re: Any tips for a socially awkward persons first time?

Postby StmpnkPlgDr » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:22 am

Hello! I’m going to be going to my first Geeklycon this year myself and I couldn’t be more stoked! Everyone has been really friendly that I’ve spoken to on Discord and Slack and those are great places to get started. The Geeklycon Houses are also very accepting and a great way to get to know people. I may not be an experienced Geeklycon person but if you ever want, hit me up on Discord or Slack @stmpnkplgdr and we can start plotting how awesome this will be ;)

Suit Sage

Postby Suit Sage » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:50 am

My first time as well, so not sure how helpful I'll be, buuut I'll second how great people on Discord have been. Great place to just hang out and play games with Geeklies if you're into video games. The ones that I've seen mostly played have been PUBG, Armello, Tabletop Simulator, Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, Minecraft, and Destiny 2 (though it's been a while since that was popular). I know WoW also has a strong following. A couple of us also play League, but that doesn't seem as played on the Discord.

But yeah, I think one way to make it less intimidating would be if you make some friends on the Discord who are also going to GeeklyCon so you might be able to meet up with them in person to have someone you're more familiar with rather than being overwhelmed by nothing but total strangers.

If you're not as into video games, it may not work out that way as well, so main thing I'd say is that from what I've heard, GeeklyCon is full of socially awkward people who are actually super nice.

emjay_sarcastic

Postby emjay_sarcastic » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:59 pm

i'm a huge video game nerd so I'll have to check that out! Thank you for the suggestions guys!

Return to “GeeklyCon”