GC17 newbie

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kanaku

GC17 newbie

Postby Kanaku » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:39 am

Since the con is only 4 hours from me this year I've decided to go. What can I expect to be doing over the weekend? What about someone else who isn't into podcasts, (my wife) what could she expect to see or do? I'm pretty excited!

Shiny Vulpix

Re: GC17 newbie

Postby Shiny Vulpix » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:40 am

It's my first time too! My excitement can not be contained. I can't wait to meet the cast and fans of Drunks and Dragons ♡!

Winstonfromarkansas

Postby Winstonfromarkansas » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:04 pm

It's my first time also and I'm excited. First time it's been close enough for me to go. I'm ready for this for sure.

Higgy98

Postby Higgy98 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:22 pm

My first time as well. I am excited and a little nervous because of my social anxiety. But I am confident that the geekly community will help me with that.

Shiny Vulpix

Postby Shiny Vulpix » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:42 am

I know what you mean, I get really nervous around groups of people, but upon visiting conventions, I get really excited being surrounded by geeks; I find that I get very social suddenly lol. Seriously look forward to befriending some of you beautiful peeps.

maesterjape

Postby maesterjape » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:49 pm

Another GC virgin here coming all the way from London, Ontario. Also so excited! 10 hour drive on a beautiful summer day? No biggie.

I'm a lawyer so I'm pretty used to large groups, but I will say that the best remedy I've ever experienced for issues of social anxiety is a cool glass of Christmas wine or perhaps a little Pale Mare. Really soothes the ole noggin.

mmmizzle

Postby mmmizzle » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:00 pm

Kanaku wrote:Since the con is only 4 hours from me this year I've decided to go. What can I expect to be doing over the weekend? What about someone else who isn't into podcasts, (my wife) what could she expect to see or do? I'm pretty excited!

The weekend is what you want it to be. There are typically a few big events: The Kickoff Party, The Live Show, and the ending Picnic. These are the events that are the most well attended where most people are there.

The rest of the weekend is very open. There will be other 'official' events throughout the weekend - panels & workshops, group outings, 'bar crawls' etc. Last year (and possibly/likely this year) there will be a calendar app through which you can sign up or register for these things. To this point it hasn't really been a hard signup for most events - people who show up get to go, and there is no punishment or consequences if you sign up and then don't go. (There was a hard limit on the karaoke event last year I believe due to space limitations.)

There will also be unofficial things that just happen. A group of people will decide to go out for dinner, or to a baseball game, or to the arch or whatever. Not as an official GC event but just as a fun thing to do.

Throughout all of it there will be a big room with a lot of tables, all weekend. At these tables will be games - board games, RPGs, etc. There will be signups through the previously mentioned app to fill specific games, and there will be lots of opportunity to just get together with friends or random people to play games.

Plus whatever they come up with this year that's new and improved.

"Podcast Knowledge" is very much unnecessary to have a good time, aside from the Live Show I guess. The weekend is about doing things you think are fun with people you share common interests with. If you want to be super social and stay up late and drink and go to bars, you can do that. If you want to play games and find a few people to go to dinner with and go to bed early, you can do that too. If you want to just come to St. Louis and explore the city and drop into a few panels, great! There are definitely spouses that come that have little to no experience listening to Geekly podcasts that still make friends and have a great time.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions hit me up at mpmcginnis@gmail.com or on twitter at @mmmizzle.

LeahLiz87

Postby LeahLiz87 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:31 pm

Thanks for the "what to expect", mmmizzle. This'll be my first one too! I haven't ever been to St. Louis so I'm stoked to get to explore a new city AND participate in the festivities of GeeklyCon. Plus, I think not knowing quite what to expect adds to the excitement a little.
Higgy98 wrote:I am excited and a little nervous because of my social anxiety.
I know what you mean. But I don't think you need to worry--everyone going is attending because they all have common interests, love the geekly podcasts, etc. Just a big buncha nerds! Seems that most everyone in this community is pretty nice and chill/interested in meeting others on the same wavelength. Can't wait to see you all there! :D

Spudcam

Postby Spudcam » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:23 pm

This will be my first GC too. Cant wait to meet everyone. Hoping to run a few RPG sessions at the tables and check out the city!
Spudcam (David Stewart)
Co-Editor of Drunks & Dragons
Lead Editor of the abridged episodes of Drunks & Dragons

nborge2000

Postby nborge2000 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:20 pm

First time for me to. Found the Drunks and Dragons podcast last summer and Geeklycon was just to far for me last year.

DDM_Cameron

Postby DDM_Cameron » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:53 am

Another GC newbie. Been listening for a few years, always wanted to go to the con, never had the funds. Last year I got married to the women of my dreams, and found the money to go. I am super excited to meet the community and the voices I have heard for the past few years for eight hours a day! Really trying to get in involved in the community and can't wait to have a blast!

jschrager

Postby jschrager » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:55 am

I have decide that I am going to go to GeeklyCon because I live in St. Louis I was so excited when I heard it was going to be here. I am new to being part of the community but have been listening for about a year now. I can't wait to see what the weekend brings.

Vayder84

Postby Vayder84 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:05 am

My first GC as well. I only live 6 hours away so an easy drive for me. I cannot wait, the excitement is killing me.

Return to “GeeklyCon”