Informal questions about the Game of Thrones Pub Crawl

Moderator: Global Moderator

BobBallVO

Informal questions about the Game of Thrones Pub Crawl

Postby BobBallVO » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:03 am

O0 Dear GeeklyCon Pub Crawl goers:

I am curious what you thought about the pub crawl we did Friday night at the con.
What did you like? What did you hate? What would you like to see in the future?

So, craft an answer and leave it below. Use the following items as a guide:
  • What did I love about the pub crawl?
  • What chaffed me beyond belief about the pub crawl?
  • What would I change or add for next time to the pub crawl?
  • What would I be willing to pay for a good time? (Only at a pub crawl, you monster.)
  • What did you think about the printed materials in your envelopes?
  • What are your thoughts on the prizes and the trophies?
  • Any other ideas you might have about the pub crawl

Feel free to elaborate, but try to keep it on topic.

But who am I kidding? I'm not the boss of you. I can't stop you from posting cute doggie gifs, especially if they're topical. Or tropical.
--
Bob Ball
Professional Voice Actor - Ham - Foil - Foiled Voice Ham

eskimomo

Re: Informal questions about the Game of Thrones Pub Crawl

Postby eskimomo » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:34 pm

Hi Bob! Thank you so much for putting this together! It was fantastic!

What did I love about the pub crawl? - Almost everything. The roles and their powers, the bonus health and reknown for drinks, the attacks.
What chaffed me beyond belief about the pub crawl? The bar. I wish they had been ready for us.
What would I change or add for next time to the pub crawl? If we could find a bar that believes that we are coming/ are ready to create the mixed drinks we need/ has enough space for all of us, that would be fantastic!
What would I be willing to pay for a good time? (Only at a pub crawl, you monster.) Yes, I think it would be worth it especially if the above.
What did you think about the printed materials in your envelopes? Very good! a bit confusing at first. If everybody had been able to fit in the first room and we could have sat with our group and walked through that first part, that would have been more helpful.
What are your thoughts on the prizes and the trophies? I was too drunk and didn't really know what was going on at that point ;D

BobBallVO

Postby BobBallVO » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:32 am

Thanks for input!

Some things were out of our control, but some we can definitely modify for your next adventure. Hodor!
--
Bob

StephOKingston

Postby StephOKingston » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:29 pm

Bob! Thanks so much for helping to do the pub crawl and make it so special!

What did I love about the pub crawl? All the mechanics were incredibly creative and relevant to the subject matter. I've been to a whole lot of quiz nights and never had one like that.
What chaffed me beyond belief about the pub crawl? The bar itself, mostly because they were incredibly understaffed and it was next to impossible to get anything.
What would I change or add for next time to the pub crawl? Don't even need to make it a crawl (though we didn't in the end), just a good quiz night at one place.
What would I be willing to pay for a good time? (Only at a pub crawl, you monster.) Upper limit probably 20 dollars?
What did you think about the printed materials in your envelopes? Great, but a lot of moving parts. An instruction leaflet might be good in the future?
What are your thoughts on the prizes and the trophies? It would be nice to have actual prizes for 2nd and 3rd. Extra raffle tickets didn't amount to much in the end. But maybe that's me being salty.
Any other ideas you might have about the pub crawl? Probably more shorter rounds of questions. It felt like we did very little actual quizzing. More in between round activities could be fun too: cosplay or some such thing.

BobBallVO

Postby BobBallVO » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:49 am

Thank you for your candor and saltiness. #BothMakeGreatTaffy
--
Bob

Noodz

Postby Noodz » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:55 pm

What did I love about the pub crawl? It's uniqueness and the creative mechanics.
What chaffed me beyond belief about the pub crawl? As everyone else has mentioned, the bar we were at, that's not on you though.
What would I change or add for next time to the pub crawl? I'd make it a quiz night at a single bar (like it turned out to be) rather than a crawl.
What would I be willing to pay for a good time? (Only at a pub crawl, you monster.) Up to about $20 to secure a place and help fund prizes.
What did you think about the printed materials in your envelopes? I thought they were great, but possibly a little confusing at first. I think it could be simplified
What are your thoughts on the prizes and the trophies? The raffle is great for people that participate but lose, but prizes for 2nd and 3rd should also be included.
Any other ideas you might have about the pub crawl. It went very slowly, that';s probably due to the amount of teams we had, perhaps reduce the number of teams?

Jinksey

Postby Jinksey » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:05 am

Hi Bob - First off, all of you did a great job organizing and it was a fun event!

What did I love about the pub crawl? I loved that it was themed and that the mechanics played into the theme. Very cool.
What chaffed me beyond belief about the pub crawl? As others mentioned, the size of the bar (not your fault). Would have loved to get a seat at some point and be able to order a drink. As others mentioned, making it into a trivia night (scrap the crawl) and make it at a single place that's cooperative and ready for us would make a huge difference.
What would I change or add for next time to the pub crawl? Minor quibble, but our team never "fought" the RP stuff mechanically (we shoe'd them away with one of our abilities both times because of good rolls on our side and bad rolls for the bad guys). This means we never got renown or really experienced those mechanics that other tables got. Additionally, would have preferred shorter, more frequent rounds to get more trivia action. We don't need 45 minutes for a round - could have done any round in 15 minutes.
What would I be willing to pay for a good time? (Only at a pub crawl, you monster.) maybe $10 for the evening, or maybe $20 if we get a drink ticket or something.
What did you think about the printed materials in your envelopes? Excellent, and super high quality. My only issue, as I mentioned above, is that half our team never got a chance to use their abilities because we never "fought" the RP stuff.
What are your thoughts on the prizes and the trophies? The prizes were awesome! In particular, I would focus more on board games or maybe the GOT Funko dolls or something, rather than Legos.
Any other ideas you might have about the pub crawl If you're leaning into the "GOT" theme of the trivia event, maybe make a way for teams to interact with one another directly. For example, maybe two kingdoms can make an alliance for a single round and then they can work on the round of trivia together. Maybe make an ultimatum that two kings have to trade a player to mix up the teams. Or one team can attack another team somehow for a sudden-death trivia showdown between the teams. The game itself was very fun, so these are just some thoughts.

Overall, great job!

BobBallVO

Postby BobBallVO » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:41 am

Noodz wrote:What did I love about the pub crawl? It's uniqueness and the creative mechanics.
What chaffed me beyond belief about the pub crawl? As everyone else has mentioned, the bar we were at, that's not on you though.
What would I change or add for next time to the pub crawl? I'd make it a quiz night at a single bar (like it turned out to be) rather than a crawl.
What would I be willing to pay for a good time? (Only at a pub crawl, you monster.) Up to about $20 to secure a place and help fund prizes.
What did you think about the printed materials in your envelopes? I thought they were great, but possibly a little confusing at first. I think it could be simplified
What are your thoughts on the prizes and the trophies? The raffle is great for people that participate but lose, but prizes for 2nd and 3rd should also be included.
Any other ideas you might have about the pub crawl. It went very slowly, that';s probably due to the amount of teams we had, perhaps reduce the number of teams?

Thanks for the input Noodz!

BobBallVO

Postby BobBallVO » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:01 am

Jinksey wrote:Hi Bob - First off, all of you did a great job organizing and it was a fun event!

What did I love about the pub crawl? I loved that it was themed and that the mechanics played into the theme. Very cool.
What chaffed me beyond belief about the pub crawl? As others mentioned, the size of the bar (not your fault). Would have loved to get a seat at some point and be able to order a drink. As others mentioned, making it into a trivia night (scrap the crawl) and make it at a single place that's cooperative and ready for us would make a huge difference.
What would I change or add for next time to the pub crawl? Minor quibble, but our team never "fought" the RP stuff mechanically (we shoe'd them away with one of our abilities both times because of good rolls on our side and bad rolls for the bad guys). This means we never got renown or really experienced those mechanics that other tables got. Additionally, would have preferred shorter, more frequent rounds to get more trivia action. We don't need 45 minutes for a round - could have done any round in 15 minutes.
What would I be willing to pay for a good time? (Only at a pub crawl, you monster.) maybe $10 for the evening, or maybe $20 if we get a drink ticket or something.
What did you think about the printed materials in your envelopes? Excellent, and super high quality. My only issue, as I mentioned above, is that half our team never got a chance to use their abilities because we never "fought" the RP stuff.
What are your thoughts on the prizes and the trophies? The prizes were awesome! In particular, I would focus more on board games or maybe the GOT Funko dolls or something, rather than Legos.
Any other ideas you might have about the pub crawl If you're leaning into the "GOT" theme of the trivia event, maybe make a way for teams to interact with one another directly. For example, maybe two kingdoms can make an alliance for a single round and then they can work on the round of trivia together. Maybe make an ultimatum that two kings have to trade a player to mix up the teams. Or one team can attack another team somehow for a sudden-death trivia showdown between the teams. The game itself was very fun, so these are just some thoughts.

Overall, great job!

Jinksey,

Thanks for the input! And it wasn't just me, it was Nick Bristow and I that worked tirelessly on the project (ok, we took some breaks).

Your input, along with everybody else's, is greatly helpful to assist us in making possible future events more successful - and more fun for you!

It was interesting that some of the teams poked and prodded the rules in ways that I didn't anticipate - it'll be harder next time, I assure you. #PlanYourFuneralPyresNow
--
Bob

mmmizzle

Postby mmmizzle » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:29 pm

• What did I love about the pub crawl? - The setup was great. Materials, roles, etc. Lots of fun and very impressive.
  • What chaffed me beyond belief about the pub crawl? I think the time between rounds was too long. Theoretically this is a good time to drink, but because there were too many of us it was hard to get served. Also seating was less than people at times.
  • What would I change or add for next time to the pub crawl? If we were able to control the venue (such as at the 2017 Kickoff Party)? We could definitely work with the intention. If we're going to a bar with other people, I think a smaller group is required to make it isn't quite so crowded.
  • What would I be willing to pay for a good time? (Only at a pub crawl, you monster.) Yes.
  • What did you think about the printed materials in your envelopes? Awesome. Preparation was impressive.
  • What are your thoughts on the prizes and the trophies? If the event moved a quicker pace you can give out drinks as prizes. Because I am bad and am doing this 5 months later I don't remember the prizes well.
  • Any other ideas you might have about the pub crawl - it was fun. 10/10 would crawl again.

Return to “GeeklyCon”