GC17 newbie

Moderator: Global Moderator

michael
Administrator
Administrator

Re: GC17 newbie

Postby michael » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:55 pm

jamescobalt wrote:For those who already live in the area or don't want to stay at the host hotel (just learned they have a bed bug and mold issue and I'm freaked out) is there anything lost by staying offsite? Does a lot of the networking happen over breakfast and happenstance or is it primarily in the kickoff party and the game room?

If you want the full experience, I recommend that you stay at the host hotel. You'll still have plenty of fun if you don't, but non-scheduled things will surely happen between midnight and 10am. If you don't feel comfortable, then we totally understand if you stay offsite.

We did immediately bring this up with the hotel, and they assured us that if there is ever an issue that they take the effected rooms out of commission and deal with it immediately. If you have an concerns you can contact our hotel rep, his name is Chris Barr and you can call him at 314-436-8052 directly.

HugoSloth

Postby HugoSloth » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:57 am

Higgy98 wrote:My first time as well. I am excited and a little nervous because of my social anxiety. But I am confident that the geekly community will help me with that.

Last year was my first year, and it was super fun in part because I basically lived off of alcoholic drinks for the entire weekend so I wasn't as nervous. You'll make friends fast, I'm sure of it :)
-------------------------------------------
https://www.patreon.com/HugoSloth

HugoSloth

Postby HugoSloth » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:02 am

jamescobalt wrote:... is there anything lost by staying offsite? Does a lot of the networking happen over breakfast and happenstance or is it primarily in the kickoff party and the game room?

I did lose some of the fun of staying in the hotel with everyone last year (since I lived in the city) because I couldnt spend the entire day with all my pals and instead had to wait for my friend to get up and get coffee so my impatient butt could get to the game room. Since a lot of festivities drag on late into the night, sleeping on location is a big bonus. It means you can get smashed and dont have to worry about travelling hungover in the morning and stuff !
-------------------------------------------
https://www.patreon.com/HugoSloth

PaulMcGranite

Postby PaulMcGranite » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:01 pm

A question about board games - I checked out the list of Geekly's current collection and say I've got a game they don't have on the list. Do folks ever bring their games to play with people?

Maeduin

Postby Maeduin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:45 pm

PaulMcGranite wrote:A question about board games - I checked out the list of Geekly's current collection and say I've got a game they don't have on the list. Do folks ever bring their games to play with people?

Absolutely! Tons of people will either bring games that aren't normally available or they will bring their own copy of a game. Last year and this year, there will also be people bringing games in development to play test.
@matthewmmorris

PaulMcGranite

Postby PaulMcGranite » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:32 am

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear! Thanks!

emjay_sarcastic

Postby emjay_sarcastic » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:34 pm

My first time as well. 5 1/2 hour drive. My wife isn't into the podcast so I get a wife free weekend to nerd out. :)

Return to “GeeklyCon”