Episode 191- Mixed Messages

Talk about the episodes!

Moderator: Global Moderator

Dazenie

Episode 191- Mixed Messages

Postby Dazenie » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:35 pm

Spoiler alert warning!

So I just listened to episode 191, and I'm pretty sad Harper turned into goo. I know people may say it was super obvious, but I definitely think THAT was going to happen. I'm interested to see what other people's reactions are to this. It feels just like when Tum died! Also, does anyone know what the messages all said? If anyone knows and would be kind enough to write them out, I am very interested to see what they said and how they all fit together.

What could they have done to prevented Harper from dying? Michael mentioned a 9th level spell that brings back basically any dead thing, so I wonder if they will be able to use that to bring Harper back. It took me awhile to warm up to Harper after Tum, as I completely loved Tum, and now he's gone, too. I realized after Harper died that Michael did give a lot of hints, but like the group, I just didn't catch on to them.

If Harper can't come back, any predictions on what Tim's new character will be? I wanted Harper to be able to kill Longcrier and avenge Camille, but instead he blew up. Sad.

nojjynb

Re: Episode 191- Mixed Messages

Postby nojjynb » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:53 pm

I gave Tim crap on twitter about the Trump goof on Monday as I started the episode.
Harper died on Tuesday on my way home... I was torn with mixed feelings: I don't want to let Harper go, but... that damn Trump goof!
This morning I finished the episode and promptly became a patreon support to hear the conversation WHICH ISN'T ON PATREON DAMMIT!

Honestly, I based on the clues I heard, I didn't see them getting out of this without either Harper dying or Harper losing his powers. It was tough enough to hear the words on the podcast, I'm sure they didn't stand a chance of getting it all right in person.

As a DM, I would have given one last chance: a history check or wisdom saving throw to remember a key snippet of the message. This was one of the cases where the Characters would have remembered much better than the Players.

Dazenie

Postby Dazenie » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:30 pm

Yeah, even as a listener who could go back and listen to the messages, I had a hard time understanding them and piecing them together. I am really curious as to what would have happened if they used the syringes on Harper.

Riyu

Postby Riyu » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:43 pm

a history check or wisdom saving throw to remember a key snippet of the message

I was thinking if I was a player I would've tried this to see if the DM would give it to me haha
Because yeah even as a listener it was very difficult to hear the messages, let alone remember them.
(I'm sure it was purposefully difficult though, but wow the stakes were high)

When Tim died I couldn't stop myself from laughing just because it was so unexpected. RIP

Suit Sage

Postby Suit Sage » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:03 am

Eh... On the messages being hard to understand, the most important bits were more clear.

-Harper is a bomb he can make go boom at the snap of his fingies
-This is an antidote to stop that

Like yeah, there were some unknown consequences to taking the antidote, but if you don't take it and you meet Longcrier, you're dead. I felt that was very obvious.

That said, sometimes players are dumb and you can throw them hints. Michael did a pretty good job at this I think. "So to be clear, this is a big thing and it's possible for people to die here. Just want to make sure you're aware of that." "Haha, yeah totally. So let's have Longcrier walk into us and then we just fight him." ._. "Okay, so to be clear, your plan is to lead him out... and then you're all just going to be there. That's it, right?" "Yeah! But like we'll make him think that he was led by that dead guy." ._.

Only things Michael could do were give the sort of insight or history or whatever that "You remember the first clip again" and replay it if they score well or give a dex saving throw to try to inject Harper in time, but it'd be a hard check at that...

From here, I expect a new character from Tim or for the party to go on a quest or do something to get a True Resurrection spell.

From Canada Gdaymate

Postby From Canada Gdaymate » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:39 pm

You guys pretty much summed it up. Thrifty dropped plenty of straightforward warning signs, so it's not on him. Between the podcast amnesia and the sweet sweet winc.com juice, our players weren't able to get into character and into the situation at hand. Instead, they all got caught up in Bachmann's chaotic meat puppet antics.

I'm really going to miss Harp-Harp, and his well-developed backstory, his inner struggle, and his fight for redemption. It's a real loss. But bigger picture, the group lost their figurehead. They really needed his political clout and eye witness testimony of the cult assassin to quell the oncoming war. Jaela is framed, Aludra can't make important decisions, and Jett is a whacky blob. What can they even do now?

McScotty

Postby McScotty » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:15 am

Yep. Saw that coming. Askari was obviously dead. I don't know why they didn't try the potions. Greater restoration probably would have fixed it. I'm with you Michael. They had plenty of opportunities to avoid this...

BlackMageJawa

Postby BlackMageJawa » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:39 pm

So, based on the mailbag it seems that they were planning to write Harper out anyway, which I guess is why Michael went with the one-hit-no-save-instant-kill.

I probably would have given them one round of "Harper is in pain and obviously about to die horribly any second now" to figure out that maybe they should administer the antidote within the next six seconds, and if they still didn't do it, then kill him off.

mediadavid

Postby mediadavid » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:16 pm

It is disappointing Harper died - so close to the conclusion of his 'dark past' ark, but I think Thrifty did the right thing in killing him. He'd given plenty of hints to the extent of almost metagaming ("ok, just to be clear, you're aware that you need a body to revivify someone, right?"), and if he'd given them another pass it would have undermined him as DM and the world he's crafting.

Alas, poor Harper. He died the way he lived. Hiding in a closet asking strange men to eat his ass.

DiMiLLi

Postby DiMiLLi » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:38 pm

I feel like if Thom was there he would have injected Harper with the antidote as a goof. Just to see him powerless.

Return to “Episodes”