New thread for D&D virgins - let's play!

Either in person or online

Moderator: Global Moderator

BoredToBeth

New thread for D&D virgins - let's play!

Postby BoredToBeth » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:08 am

I felt bad for essentially hijacking JackTopside's older post, so started a new one here.

If you haven't played before and are looking to give it a go - hopefully this thread will stay active enough to give everyone a chance to get involved. I guess we'll maybe a give it a week or two and see how many people are still interested?

If you are wanting to give it a go, it would be sooper helpful if you could let everyone know what timezone you're in, level of experience, any helpful info for beginners, roles you might want to play (DM / Player) etc. Personally, I have ZERO experience (or confidence) and don't really know where to start apart from getting to grips with the 5e player handbook....e.g would I better just buying the 5e starter set?

I'm not pretending to have a clue what i'm talking about, so any additional helpful info / stuff we should know just say!

Hopefully talk to a bunch of y'all soon! ;D

teuben

Re: New thread for D&D virgins - let's play!

Postby teuben » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:30 pm

Just responded to the other post but found way over here!

PST / 0 experience / Interested in being a player.

Really looking forward to maybe being able to play!

DefinatePhilip

Postby DefinatePhilip » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:39 am

PST/Loads of experience as player and DM/Either depending but tend to be DM.

BoredToBeth

Postby BoredToBeth » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:26 am

Guess it would help if I also remembered to post my info -

GMT / 0 experience / I'm looking to be a player, probably in a group that's not too big to begin with / Aaaand once I get paid i'll be buying the 5e Starter Set and see where to go from there! I was really looking forward to creating a character but i'm getting stumped doing even that without the handbook etc.

Matt_WA

Postby Matt_WA » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:17 pm

PST 1 Level of experience, I've played one session of 5e so far. I did come across a great android app called complete reference for 5e, has a lot of the class, race, rules and items and you can import more from there website. I could help with making characters, but have no confidence to be a DM

DefinatePhilip

Postby DefinatePhilip » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:03 pm

Those of you looking to wet your whistle a bit more while the organization of this gets sorted out, check out https://www.dndbeyond.com/ or specifically https://www.dndbeyond.com/compendium/rules/basic-rules

They are setting up a digital codex and interlinked resource for players and DMs direct from Wizards!

MakepeaceLovejoy

Postby MakepeaceLovejoy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:37 pm

Thanks Beth for creating a new thread I was beginning to feel lost. I thought nobody wanted to reply to any of my posts.

GMT/ O experience/ I'd like to just be a player. I'm really looking forward to character creation.

Hope we can make this happen :)
@MakepeaceLvjoy

bendrawslife

Postby bendrawslife » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:11 pm

PST/ 0 experience (pretty much)/ Probably start as player, but I'd love to try out DMing eventually. (Also recently got the Player's Handbook for my birthday, so I've got that going for me.)

Ejaninja

Postby Ejaninja » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:50 am

I've been meaning to get back into D&D, but since all my friends stopped playing a year ago it's been difficult finding a group. Hopefully I can have better luck through other Geekly fans!

EST/Mild experience both as a player and as a DM/I've definitely been playing around with a lot of ideas I'd like to try in as far as DMing in the future, but I love being a player just as much

I can help with character-building, or coming up with campaign ideas (I personally love homebrew material but I totally understand that's not everyone's cup of tea).

Tercyn

Postby Tercyn » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:54 pm

I'd like to join a campaign. I've played an it of 5e in adventures league but haven't even made it to lvl 5 yet. I wouldn't mind dm'ing, have a bunch of goofy homebrew story ideas, but can be player too. Can also help with character creation if anyone wants. There's probably peeps with a lot more experience in that, but happy to help.

I'm central standard time.

BoredToBeth

Postby BoredToBeth » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:17 pm

I'm so glad there seems to be enough of us interested, I really hope we can pull something together and give it a go ;D I ordered the starter set today and have the player handbook open in front of me so might as well see how far I can make it through without my brain melting.

Tercyn - I think your offer to help with character creation will be really useful (to me, at least!). Creating my first character is something i'm really looking forward to, but it's definitely a fair bit more complicated than I thought it would be.

So far it seems we have a mix of PST / EST & GMT - don't know how well that'll work but i'm hopeful that we'll get something figured out.

Are there any days that people would prefer / know won't work for them? Week day/night? Weekends?

Also - players who do have experience - is there an ideal group size?

Tercyn

Postby Tercyn » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:56 pm

For time of week and day, pretty much any day but Thursday is fine, and it'd have to be after 5 pm cst.

Group size, I've only played with as little as 3 and as many as 5. Based on that 3 is doable but kinda rough. I'd say 4 or 5 is ideal, but haven't played with a larger group so can't really speak to the advantages or disadvantages.

Some apps for iPhone/iPad or android that helped me with character creation are fifth edition character sheet and dungeons and dragons 5e Spellbook. They have some flaws but are good quick references.

For character creation, we may want to wait till have a group set because there's a few different ways to get the initial stats. We could do the roll some die and use those numbers, the predecided numbers given by the players handbook, or there's some auction/buy out option as well. That's just the number side of things though, and the class and backstory are more fun anyway.

Hope this helps and look forward to playing!

DefinatePhilip

Postby DefinatePhilip » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:17 pm

I tend to have Sunday afternoon/evenings free PST and can carve out some time then.

gerbster827

Postby gerbster827 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi dudes. I have played once and had a great time I'd love to start/join a campaign. Like I said I have a little real exp. And a pretty good working knowledge. I'm able to play Thursday or Friday nights EST. Anyone out there looking to DM a game let me know!

BoredToBeth

Postby BoredToBeth » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:33 am

Hey everyone,

I'm sorry for the radio silence - it's been a rough couple of weeks but things seem to be getting back on the right track now. I got the starter set and things are actually making more sense that I thought!

One thing I've noticed though - I think i'm the only person on GMT :( (i.e 7pm EST = 11pm GMT / 7pm PST = 2am GMT) - so I'm not really too sure where to go from here. There would definitely be some nights I could be up later but wouldn't be able to commit to it regularly - which sucks. I just assumed there would be at few people in Europe or the UK - I guess I didn't really consider that before getting too excited :-\

Does anyone have any advice/thoughts on going forward? And should say - please don't wait for me to get something sorted, if you've found folk on here that are in the same timezone/want to get a game going, that's perfect and you should go for it!

Return to “Find a Gaming Group”