How did YOU guys and gals come across the show?:)

Moderator: Global Moderator

CanadianEh?

Re: How did YOU guys and gals come across the show?:)

Postby CanadianEh? » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:38 pm

Man, I don't have a crazy story about finding this podcast :/ I just searched google play for "podcast" a few months ago, and this one was like at the bottom of the list XD What an underdog show! I'm only on episode 120, and I'm not sure if the forums are very spoiler-free, so I'll probably wait till I'm caught up before diving too deep. I can't wait to see what this whole community is all about, eh!!

maesterjape

Postby maesterjape » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:04 pm

CanadianEh? wrote:Man, I don't have a crazy story about finding this podcast :/ I just searched google play for "podcast" a few months ago, and this one was like at the bottom of the list XD What an underdog show! I'm only on episode 120, and I'm not sure if the forums are very spoiler-free, so I'll probably wait till I'm caught up before diving too deep. I can't wait to see what this whole community is all about, eh!!

Yeah for new Canadian geeklys! I jumped in about a year and a half ago and am in the process of trying to convert all of southern Ontario to the Geekly cause. Finish the show and come to GeeklyCon, I need some more people to say "eh" with and not get laughed at.

CanadianEh?

Postby CanadianEh? » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:47 pm

maesterjape wrote:Yeah for new Canadian geeklys! I jumped in about a year and a half ago and am in the process of trying to convert all of southern Ontario to the Geekly cause. Finish the show and come to GeeklyCon, I need some more people to say "eh" with and not get laughed at.

I start working in eastern Ontario and maybe we can find more Canadian geeks, eh!

LeahLiz87

Postby LeahLiz87 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:28 pm

When my boyfriend and I first started dating, he was driving us somewhere and said he had a funny podcast for me to listen to. We had been talking about how I'd always wanted to get into D&D but none of my friends had ever played, etc etc. So he put on Drunks and Dragons--it was the episode where Aludra talks to Winston the mouse and feeds him a boob-warmed burrito. :)) And I was hooked from that point forward! Listening to the show furthered my interest in RPGs and table top games and now the two of us play in a weekly Dungeon World campaign that's been going on for almost a year.

9r7g5h

Postby 9r7g5h » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:38 am

!00% by accident. I was actually looking for a different D&D podcast one of my coworkers mentioned, but I had forgotten that one's name. So, I clicked the first one that came up when I googled 'dnd postcast,' and I've never been happier that I have!

FunkyPayps

Postby FunkyPayps » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:29 pm

I had been playing D&D at my local tabletop cafe for a few months and felt like i wasn't really clicking with it so i looked up podcasts to help inspire me to be a better player or see how smoother running games went. Drunks and Dragons popped up right away and i ran with it, I don't know if it's a smooth game but damn if it didn't make me a better player and give me an awesome time while doing it.

osokuma

Postby osokuma » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:35 am

I came across Drunks and Dragons in the most round about way. I work from home and in order make it feel like I have friends and people are around during the day, I listen to podcasts. Since I was looking to fill silence, but not have something playing that would actually distract me from work a friend recommended to me a couple long lasting, conversational gibberish podcasts - Jordan, Jesse, Go! and My Brother, My Brother and Me. I know what you are thinking already, but you are wrong. Although that podcast network advertised the McElory brand often, I never tuned into their Dungeons ad Dragons Podcast until much later.

When I was running thin on backlog of my favorite podcast, a friend actually recommended a podcast. He told me that it was a D & D podcast. I said I wasn't interested. But he insisted it would be enjoyable. He told me it was like, "Drinking and Dragons, or Drunk Dragons ... or something, just type it in and you'll find it." I didn't. Search as might I didn't find Drunks and Dragons, which IS the show he wanted me to listen to.

After an extended search I came across a couple other real play D & D podcasts that I gave a try, a couple were good, many were bad, but not of them lasted or kept you coming back. It was then that I gave in to podcast advertising and listened to The Adventure Zone. It was great. But I burned through it quick. I needed something else to fill the void. When talking to my friend again, he actually told me the correct name to search for Drunks and Dragons. I started in and loved it. Great personalities on this show! I just wish it hadn't taken me so long to find it.
-oskuma

shanrogers3

Postby shanrogers3 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:16 am

My husband listened, convinced me to play D&D with some friends and that was pretty fun. He told me I should listen to the podcast and I was like "Naw I still dont think that podcast thing is my style..." Then we drove 2 hours north of here for GeeklyCon 2016, went to the live show and I was like "oooooh they have a Game of Thrones podcast? That I might listen to..." Binged those and was missing my new friends so I started DnD and I have been hooked ever since. Still trying to get caught up, am on Episode 154 now... ;D

Hatersauce

Postby Hatersauce » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:50 am

I think I happened to find it because I was listening to Cthulhu and Friends at the time and was looking for a few D&D podcasts so I could get a little bit of motivation for DMing my own campaign. Well, I don't have quite the jovial attitude in my game, but I definitely like Drunks and Dragons to give me a good laugh throughout the work day. Sadly, I am somewhat caught up. I listened to the first 60 or 70 episodes, but I REALLY hate 4e, so the mechanics bored me a little bit. I skipped ahead to the introduction for the new 5E setup, and I am liking that much better. I will likely go back through to listen to everything else after I catch up, but ohhh...my...gawd... 4e. Blechh.

RandomGuy

Postby RandomGuy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:42 am

FunkyPayps wrote:I had been playing D&D at my local tabletop cafe for a few months and felt like i wasn't really clicking with it so i looked up podcasts to help inspire me to be a better player or see how smoother running games went. Drunks and Dragons popped up right away and i ran with it, I don't know if it's a smooth game but damn if it didn't make me a better player and give me an awesome time while doing it.

Pretty much the same for me too.

Thehackett998

Postby Thehackett998 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:40 pm

I was told about Stitcher by a friend and never really listened to podcasts at all. I then thought, 'I love DnD. How cool would it be if there was a podcast with people playing'. I searched DnD and Drunks and Dragons popped up. I started at episode 1 last year and I'm up to 105 now. I don't like change, so I just recently started listening to Cthulu and friends. I may start Sayer in the future. Catching up is a bitch, but I always have episodes ready...so I got that going for me

manedwolftsuki

Postby manedwolftsuki » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:44 am

Was recommended by Arnie Niekamp from "Hello From the Magic Tavern" :) I flew here as soon as I heard about it!

manmcmike

Postby manmcmike » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:26 pm

Ads. A series of ads and podcast-jumps, actually.

When I first started getting into podcasts on my phone, I looked at the "top trending" podcasts. At the time, a remarkable show called Beautiful Stories from Anonymous People (hosted by Chris Gethard) was at the top. So I started getting into that. Wonderful podcast, deeply moving and interesting stories.

Beautiful Anonymous is in the Earwolf podcast network, so I heard ads for Hello from the Magic Tavern. I was then enthralled with that show for a while and raced to (at the time) current. One of the last episodes I listened to (haven't listened in a while) had an ad for Drunks and Dragons. I was current on HFTMT, so I decided to start listening to Drunks and Dragons. Despite the first episode being 2.5 hours and filled with dice rolls, I quickly got hooked, and had forsaken basically all other audio media until I just got to current at episode 200 this week. My Audible app misses me.

I'm taking a little podcast break and then I'm going to dive into Random Encounters and the other Geekly shows. I will of course always ALWAYS stay current on Drunks and Dragons. I'm now excited to be a part of this community!

Return to “General Discussion”