How did YOU guys and gals come across the show?:)

Moderator: Global Moderator

TheRealLohke

Re: How did YOU guys and gals come across the show?:)

Postby TheRealLohke » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:11 pm

I started playing 5E, and I fell in love with the game instantly! My group didn't meet up often enough to satisfy my needs, so I googled "best d&d podcast" and a thread on reddit pointed me towards this one. :D

daevakat

Postby daevakat » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:16 pm

A friend of mine posted about that she was listening to the podcast a month and half ago. So, I started listening from the beginning. I'm on episode 34 right now. I listen to it in the car a lot and when I am knitting. I'm enjoying it a lot. :D

Tercyn

Postby Tercyn » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:17 am

I came across the podcast what feels like a long time ago while searching for D&D podcasts online. It was listed as one that Brian Posehn did.... While I discovered that was not the case, I was already hooked.

When I reached somewhere around episode 150, Mr. Lanning recommended inventing time travel to join all the previous live streams on twitch, and, since a more compelling argument for time travel doesn't exist, the challenge was accepted.

It took a while, but I was finally able to create a non-paradox inducing form of time travel and joined the twitch as a fake slabber. Meanwhile, unbeknownst to His Thriftyness, I fed upcoming story information to a certain unsuspecting, innocent dragon born wielding player.

At first he was wary of my prophetic knowledge of their adventures, but quickly started using the information for good. Thus began a golden age in Drunkeros in which Titus had family members and an unexploded bod, Thom got all the best body parts and fish buckets, Wiggins stabbed Ros, and Aludra always had the beefiest of burritos. Jaela even retired from the adventuring life to raise a herd of pegacorns.

Meanwhile in the realm of earth, Geekly Inc. soared to new heights becoming a Fortune 500 company and creating a chain of super awesome stores across the country. Due to the popularity and financial success of both his campaign and business, His Thriftyness ran for president. His campaign proved a nat 20, and he was elected in the greatest landslide democracy has ever experienced, becoming America's DM.

Under his leadership war ended, as matters of state were settled with die rolls, and no child went to bed hungry for more d20s. The golden age of Drunkeros spread to IRL.

Alas, the golden age met with a violent end when a couple years later when two androids showed up in a coastal town and started wreaking havoc across the world. No one was powerful enough to stop them, and our greatest warrior had died a year prior. I did my best to defeat them, even tried a training montage with a one-armed monk, but these monstrous foes cannot be destroyed.

I managed to escape, barely, and used the last of my strength to travel back and leave this message in hopes that you fellow Geeklies would heed my warning:

Totally worth it.

IForgetHisName

Postby IForgetHisName » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:03 am

I listen to a lot of podcasts at work, and had finally caught up on all of my backlog about 2 months ago. One of the ones I was listening to was a different realplay DnD podcast, and I really enjoyed it, so I thought I'd search iTunes to see if I could find anything else to fill that gap. When I saw that there were 200 episodes of this I knew that it would scratch that itch for a pretty long time.

I'm really happy that I found this, and I'm really excited to one day catch up.
G'day mate.

TBadger

Postby TBadger » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:35 pm

Had a hankerin to play D&D after a long hiatus but I work from 5am-6pm Monday through Friday....so i turned to listening to a podcast about it and this was the first and best that I've found :) I've since arranged a game night with my fiancee and a few friends. We meet every other week and D&D or tabletop game.

This past week we tried out Betrayal at House on the Hill ( super fun btw)

rredmond

Postby rredmond » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:51 pm

Google. ;D
--Ron--

Longbottom76

Postby Longbottom76 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:51 pm

In the last year I moved quite far from my work and have a 2+ hour commute each way. I quickly found out that podcasts would be my best friend and defense against insanity on the long traffic-laden drives.

I subscribed to a ton of different podcasts. I won't bore you with the long list. But eventually, I came across a D&D podcast (not Drunks & Dragons) and quite unexpectedly was taken back to my youth...

I was in grade school in the mid 80s and a group of my older cousins were playing D&D at the cottage one beautiful summer afternoon on the picnic table. One party member happened to be falling down some large vertical well-like shaft. Another party member, who was standing on a balcony built into the wall of this shaft below, threw a rope out into the dark emptiness for the falling member to grab onto. Apparently, the DM decided this attempt was going to be pretty tough to accomplish. He made them both roll a few times each against STR, AGI, and whatever else he could think of. But after a bunch of good rolls, the players ended up succeeding and the whole table of 6 guys jumped up from the table and went absolutely nuts with excitement. I will never forget that.

So when I found the podcast, I listened for hours and hours. I eventually grew a little annoyed at the level of silliness. I switched to another D&D podcast (again not Drunks & Dragons). I listened to that one for hours as well and found the DM to be a bit boring. My third try was finally Drunk & Dragons.

It has been about 3 months and 67 Episodes in and I find it to be just about the perfect mix of silliness, seriousness, player personality mix, DM experience (and lack of experience), and just an all around genuine feeling that this is what D&D is supposed to be all about. (Even with the abundance of D jokes)

Well, that's how I got hooked. Thank you to the cast and I can't wait to see what end-game is like. Please... always keep it dicey.

Return to “General Discussion”