The World of Ice & Liquor

Moderator: Global Moderator

JamesKPolkerface

Re: The World of Ice & Liquor

Postby JamesKPolkerface » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:16 am

existenceisrelative wrote:Hey, thanks! I'm re-listening right now, but not taking notes or anything. So sometimes the details just slip right by me. That's why it's good there's an official Drunkeros History Team setting up! (Even if a lot of the history is presently non-canonical.)

My ideas, just in case you are interested, are as follows:

#1: The rise of a Goldshire family from a down-on-its-luck noble name, to one of the most feared shadow-syndicates in all of the western lands during the 13th century (1200 DR).

#2: The exodus of the wood elves from the feywild during the 6th century (500 DR) to protect a mortal forest under assault by the ravaging barabarian hordes of the northern plains. Eventually establishing the holding of "Newfoundus Town" and its seat of power, Shadowspar Keep.

The challenge is, that i don't want to directly contradict any established canon. I'm fine with inventing whatever i feel like. But if i'm contradicting any of the official stuff, it just feels like failure to me.

Just one problem with #2, New Newfoundland Land was specifically just a few months old when the podcast started. Shadowspar could be ancient though, and that's a dope idea!

existenceisrelative

Postby existenceisrelative » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:04 am

Sure, New Newfoundland land was brand new. But before that there was Newfoundland land, and before even that there was Newfoundus Town. I'm thinking Newfoundus Town was the small area of protected land in harmony with nature lead by the wood elves. You know, before the affliction and the time of hardship reduced the entire history of the place to a warped name.

JamesKPolkerface

Postby JamesKPolkerface » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:25 pm

existenceisrelative wrote:Sure, New Newfoundland land was brand new. But before that there was Newfoundland land, and before even that there was Newfoundus Town. I'm thinking Newfoundus Town was the small area of protected land in harmony with nature lead by the wood elves. You know, before the affliction and the time of hardship reduced the entire history of the place to a warped name.

That's a pretty clever workaround, and sounds dope. And sense of why new newfoundland land has "new" twice. Wish I'd put it into the Age of the Wood Elves.

BrianRyanOBrien

Postby BrianRyanOBrien » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:30 am

Holy crap. I am completely blown away by both the map and the story. It is simply amazing. Fantastic job!

existenceisrelative

Postby existenceisrelative » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:22 pm

Hey! They talked about your awesome map and un-canon historical record on the new episode!

JamesKPolkerface

Postby JamesKPolkerface » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:32 pm

The Age of House Vidalis

The age of House Vidalis has no agreed upon beginning. Different clerics of history will tell you different years for Vidalis' ascendance. Most will agree that by around 1230 DR they had begun to stand out from the other petty kingdoms of the time.

We can, however, be sure of the year that the Age of House Vidalis ended. Cleric Diem's “The Fall Of House Vidalis” states with certainty that the great house fell in the year 1380 DR. This is the same year that Cleric Laan and Cleric Ing call “The Year of the Blazing Hand” in the Pelor's Hope tradition.

As previously discussed, we can assume that Vidalestown first emerged as a power of medium importance in Ichtaka around its founding in the year 1080 DR. For a while it grew in prominence under the protection of Red Senu. Cleric Diem writes that the lords of House Vidalis never sought to make themselves over-powerful. Too much power would have attracted Senu's attention, and would have led to their swift annexation to Senu's official empire.

Instead Diem tells us that Vidalis focused on creating a mercantile reputation for itself. It soon became known for superior animal husbandry. Vidalestown grew to become a prosperous petty kingdom under Senu.

When Senu died the lords of Vidalis made off with the Brazier of Worlds. They learned to harness its power, and were soon using it to import various exotic animals from strange realms parallel to our own. Vidalis introduced unworldly magical beasts like gryphons, chimeras, sky-bisons, alots, wyverns, owlbears, and badgers. Vidalis domesticated, trained, and sold these mounts. And with a complete corner on the market for magical mounts Vidalis soon became incredibly wealthy.

The lords of Vidalis improved their holdings. They used their gryphon mounts to soar above the choked Swamps of Ichtaka. What used to take a week to travel on foot took an hour to travel in the air. Armies soared and over about forty years the Vidalis lords pacified the ever-squabbling lizard men of the swamp.

The power of the lizard chieftains was broken in the year 1272 at the battle of Tamoachan. The divided lizardmen had come together to defend the holy temple which had been sacred to all Ichtakans except Vidalis. The Uthgar worshippers of Vidalis pelted the lizard cultists from above and decimated their ranks. Many lizard men fled the defeat, while others surrendered and swore fealty to the might of Vidalis. The capitulation of the rest of the Ichtakan chiefs was soon accomplished by a solemn vow not to harm the Tamoachan temple. And so all of Ichtaka regognized the hegemony of the Vidalis lords.

A time of peace and prosperity followed in Ichtaka. Roads were cut through the swamps, and prosperity seeped in. Even Tamoachan thrived, with tribute flowing to it more freely. It was in this era when high priest Tloque the Bat had the temple rebuilt in its current form, what Cleric Diem calls its “Astekkass style.”

Vidalis slowly expanded its hegemony over the whole area to the north, sharing their time of prosperity. They expanded Visalestown into a large and open city. As a powerful commercial center at the center of a secure and peaceful empire, the city was unwalled and prosperous.

Vidalis was at its height in 1380. Cleric Diem writes that the territory of Vidalis covered “all of Ichtaka and halfway up— *text damaged.*” From the context clues, it appears that Diem meant halfway up the coast of what is now Thumble Bay. This proposed border is supported by the fact that it would place Caer on the prosperous periphery of the Vidalis empire, and Caer would create the next great northern empire after the fall of Vidalis.

The probably reach of House Vidalis power, according to some tumfoolery I just made up.

The fall of house Vidalis was caused the the greed of its last Lord. This was Lord Thom the Dragonborn, Sovereign of House Vidalis, protector of Vidalestown, called Jaboi, Prophet of Uthgar, and Breaker of Gnolls.

Lord Thom hungered for power and broke with his family tradition of focusing on trade. Cleric Diem says Lord Thom sought the glory of conquest and planned to fly across the sea and conquer Pelor's Hope. To do this he made a pact with a Cleric of Orcus. The cleric would use the Brazier of Worlds to summon an army of clone warriors from the demonic plane. With a dozen clones as proof of the Cleric's good-will, Lord Thom authorized the project. The cleric of Orcus betrayed Vidalis and instead used the Brazier to summon demons from the abyss.

Luckily for the world a team of saboteurs had infiltrated Vidalestown led by the Blazing Hand, a member of House Harper from Pelor's Hope. These unlikely five murdered Lord Thom Vidalis. Then after ensuring the destruction of the entire House they closed the portal to the demonic plane. Chaos would follow in Ichtaka, and after a long interim a new city would arise to dominate the next great northern empire.

Incidentally, I once met the famous wizard of the Whitespire named Zurd the Arcane. At the time he was forty five wizard years old. Because of the differences between wizard and human years this means that Zurd was born between 1379 and 1385 DR. Mr The Arcane may well have lived through the fall of Vidalis. This places the fall of House Vidalis at the very cusp of human memory, one of the first events for which we have still-living witnesses.

JamesKPolkerface

Postby JamesKPolkerface » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:36 pm

BrianRyanOBrien wrote:Holy crap. I am completely blown away by both the map and the story. It is simply amazing. Fantastic job!

Yee-haw, thanks!

existenceisrelative wrote:Hey! They talked about your awesome map and un-canon historical record on the new episode!

Yeah I heard! It's pretty cool to hear that people are peeping this little project, much less that the cast is!

existenceisrelative

Postby existenceisrelative » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:32 pm

I have another question for the DancyNancyDancy Non-Canon Historical Team.
I'm putting together my Feywild Elves storyline, and was wondering: Do you have any kind of approximate scale for your map? Even the most roundabout, inconsistent scale would help.

You know, while i'm asking for stuff you wouldn't happen to have an idea what the area around shadowspar looked like would you? Like, in a region map sorta way?

JamesKPolkerface

Postby JamesKPolkerface » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:34 pm

existenceisrelative wrote:I have another question for the DancyNancyDancy Non-Canon Historical Team.
I'm putting together my Feywild Elves storyline, and was wondering: Do you have any kind of approximate scale for your map? Even the most roundabout, inconsistent scale would help.

You know, while i'm asking for stuff you wouldn't happen to have an idea what the area around shadowspar looked like would you? Like, in a region map sorta way?

Hey! I can't imagine this is at all useful to you any more, given how long it's been. And I'm sorry about that. Because I've been very busy and very lazy, I haven't checked the forums in a while. So, my bad!

Thrifty established a rough scale way back around the season one/season two transition, but I couldn't tell you if he's still using it.

Back then he said that it was about a month's walk/donkey ride from Caer to either the Crypt of Senu the Red, or to the Ruins of Vidalis, or to the unnamned Anti-Thumblist holdout castle to the east. Depending on how experienced we assume the party was at traveling, that probably makes that a distance of 450-500 miles. That's about the distance from New York City to Raleigh, or the distance from Amsterdam to Paris.

To answer your second question, we used to have a zoomed in map with trees and buildings drawn on it, but I can't seem to find it anymore. I based mine on it closely enough that I feel pretty confident in saying it didn't have any greater detail then mine, just prettier art.

If you're still in that region, Calsten and Greenham are the two towns there that we have no info about. Thrifty said they were in roughly those locations when the gang got their first look at a map. But we never got access to that map, so we can't know what there is. Which should make them a great place for a DM to exploit :)

JamesKPolkerface

Postby JamesKPolkerface » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:33 pm

The Tragedy of Luvale

Around the year 1690, a great tragedy befell the large town of Luvale.

Before then, Luvale was the dominant town on the plains east of Caer. This was in the days before Caer became the seat of an empire and struck out with the sword to subjugate its neighbors. But even without an empire Caer was still the thriving metropolis we know today, and that prosperity spread to the hinterlands. Luvale made excellent use of that shared prosperity.

Luvale is situated on the edge of a plateau that drains down into the Ichtaka river. The frequent storms and rain on those plains drain into the Ichtaka river through a series of ever deepening gullies and vales. Luvale was founded in the most fertile of these great vales sometime in the 16th Century. The inhabitants found that the land was fertile, but the rain and therefore the runoff through the vale was not constant. This lack of fresh water kept early Luvale from growing very large.

To remedy this, the residents of Luvale took out a loan from Caer. With those funds they built a dam near the head of their vale. When the rains came, this formed a lake, and the residents of Luvale let the lake drain at a controlled level to maintain their crops and their access to fresh water. Their plan worked, and Luvale grew in population and prosperity. Soon they were damming up other gulleys, until a whole slew of lakes dotted the edge of the plateau, and were drip-feeding the booming farms of the whole vale-network. Irrigation projects gave rise to numerous hamlets surrounding the now small-city of Luvale. The whole region was transformed into a breadbasket, growing rich by feeding Caer.

But not all was well in Luvale.

A sect of Corellon worshippers had begun to preach doom against Luvale's little golden age. They taught that the damming of the vales was a sin against the natural rhythm of the fields. They believed that Corellon would surely destroy Luvale for the hubris of thinking they knew more about farming then the gods did. After a series of civic disruptions the dissidents fled Luvale up to the plateau. Here, in about 1672 they founded the town of Fallowfield, built around a church they constructed for Corellon. In Fallowfield they did not practice damming, instead relying on rainfall and crop rotation to feed themselves.

For some 18 years Luvale prospered, and the town of Fallowfield shrank as its citizens began to wonder if they were wrong about Corellon's wrath. Some former dissidents began to return to Luvale. In late 1690 or early 1691, Luvale began to consider forcibly removing its dwindling but still-troublesome neighbor. The city council sent out for a few mercenary companies to raze Fallowfield. As the companies approached Luvale to negotiate their contracts a sudden and devastating storm swept across the region.

The wind blew, the lighting flashed, the rains fell, and the torrent burst Luvale's main dam. The city and many of the nearby hamlets were sunk beneath the wall of water, destroying much of Luvale's wealth and toppling her walls. Those who could not flee up out of the vale drowned. When the mercenaries arrived they saw an opportunity, they sacked the ruins of the city and enslaved all those they could.

Those of Luvale's refugees who escaped fled to Fallowfield, which haughtily took in their repentant former neighbors, and grew to a moderately sized town. Without Luvale to maintain the dams, the lakes on the margin of the plateau broke one by one. The farming hamlets could not persist without the dams and lakes. The farmers left for Fallowfield or farther afield, and the region ceased to be a breadbasket.

Without the food of the 1691 Luvale harvest streaming in over the plateau, Caer was suddenly unable to feed itself. The resulting famine made the people desperate, and the people began eye the nobles who governed Caer with hate. The people, it seemed, yearned for a redeemer who would fill their bellies and placate their minds.

And as it happened, an adventurer and owner of a gladiator school named Trant Thumble had certain ideas about how he could accomplish each of those goals.

Landerweiss

Landerweiss is a realm in the mountains that border the North Sea. It sits at the confluence of the Central and the Western continents. This central location has ensured that only the strongest warriors who eat the strongest cheeses have been able to win and keep possession of its rugged mountains.

In the ancient days, the early kings in Landerweiss halted the advance of Senu the Red into the western mountains. They retreated into the rugged terrain of what is now western Landerweiss and waged a gar of unremitting guerrilla resistance in the east of their country. The unworldly and treacherous terrain proved to be too much for Senu, who could not dislodge them from the west.

Since then each valley in Landerweiss has ruled itsself, whether under a king or a senate, by oligarchy or by democracy. The valleys occasionally war among themselves, which helps them keep their edge against foreign foes. It it because of this that Landerweiss warriors are thought to be the most savage in the world, and none have thought of attacking that country since Senu. The valleys only unite to fight off invasion and in the Weissradt, which is a congress of the valleys that deals with all foreign affairs.

Landerweiss is also known for its cheese, its chocolate, and its leather pants.

existenceisrelative

Postby existenceisrelative » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:36 am

Hey! I can't imagine this is at all useful to you any more, given how long it's been. And I'm sorry about that. Because I've been very busy and very lazy, I haven't checked the forums in a while. So, my bad!

Hey! Any answer is better than no answer. And at least you're not trevor, right? People are always going on about how it's "better late, than trevor."

So between your guesstimations, the 5e DM-Screen, the 5e Monster Manual, an online percentage calculator, and putting your map onto roll20, i've come up with the number 477. It is 477 miles between Caer and The Ruins of House Vidalis as the crow flies.

Now according to some extrapolation from the 5e DM-Screen, a Mule or Pack-Horse should be able to cover 720 miles at a leisurely pace in a month. According to the map once it's in roll20 however, a straight line between the two points is roughly 66.2% as far as taking the road with its twists, turns, and distractions. And 66.2% of 720 miles is roughly 477 miles.

Now that number is entirely dependent upon personal interpretation. Not only for the obvious reasons, but also because of the difference in travel paces over a month. I took it to be the slowest rate possible according to the accepted scale of the 5e travel-rates. Mostly because if there was an entire party being dragged from place to place by one singular donkey in my game, you can bet they'd be moving slow!

If you took them to be moving at Daisy's normal pace, Caer would be 596 miles from The Ruins of House Vidalis.
If you decided they were moving at a fast pace, Caer would be 715 miles from The Ruins of House Vidalis.

Because i find whole numbers so much less enraging than decimals, i've rounded them off for the most part. So if someone wants all the decimals left in place, they can work it out themselves! But i can tell them that for every 10' of movement listed in combat-stats, that number times ten is their feet per minute, that number divided by ten is the miles per hour, and that the miles per day is subject to a penalty that increases by four for every ten foot increase in the combat-speed. (For instance, a "Slow Pace" is 200' per minute, 2 miles per hour, and 18 miles per day. Which is a penalty of -2 to the expected total. While a "Normal Pace" is 300-fpm, 3-mph, and 24-mpd. Which is a penalty of -6 to the expected total, an increase of 4 to the penalty. Finally a "Fast Pace" is 400-fpm, 4-mph, and 30-mpd. A penalty of -10 to the expected total! Which again, is an increase of 4 to the penalty.) A much easier way to do it, that i only discovered after i'd gone around the long way; is that you can just add 6 miles to the distance per-day whenever the combat speed increases by 10'. Also, when i put the map into roll20, the straight-line distance between Caer and tRoHV was 22.5 units. While the distance covered by the road between Caer and tRoHV was 34 units. In theory then, you could total up the amount of time divided between normal travel, and being distracted by things along the way, and you could end up with a much smaller number than 477.

As for me, unless someone who's better at math comes in with a convincing argument to contradict me, i have found my scale!

Sugarbolt

Postby Sugarbolt » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:22 pm

Oh man, I just got through reading this, and I'm absolutely in love with it. As a writer, I'd be psyched to contribute in some way. If there's an era or something that needs investigation or fleshing out, I'm your man. I'm a huge sucker for worldbuilding. Perhaps something about Arkensaw, or Deephome, or even Eveningshire? hehe

JamesKPolkerface

Postby JamesKPolkerface » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:43 pm

Sugarbolt wrote:Oh man, I just got through reading this, and I'm absolutely in love with it. As a writer, I'd be psyched to contribute in some way. If there's an era or something that needs investigation or fleshing out, I'm your man. I'm a huge sucker for worldbuilding. Perhaps something about Arkensaw, or Deephome, or even Eveningshire? hehe

Hey, thanks for sharing your interest! If there's some particular you're interested in that certainly seems like the best place to start. There's a lot to cover and a lot of speculation to be had. My own ideas for subjects are recent podcast events, the changes wrought by the passing Editions, and the cities and civilizations still unseen in the podcast. Ultimately, whatever interests you will be the most interesting to read though :)

Things have gotten a lot sloppier since the beginning, but I reckon we should still try to stay near the "textual evidence" of the podcast, as it were. Or at least to try to avoid directly contradicting the sayings of Cleric DM.

But hey, we're ultimately here to have fun. I'll certainly be extremely interested in what ever you might want to write!

Sugarbolt

Postby Sugarbolt » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:18 pm

JamesKPolkerface wrote:Hey, thanks for sharing your interest! If there's some particular you're interested in that certainly seems like the best place to start. There's a lot to cover and a lot of speculation to be had. My own ideas for subjects are recent podcast events, the changes wrought by the passing Editions, and the cities and civilizations still unseen in the podcast. Ultimately, whatever interests you will be the most interesting to read though :)

Things have gotten a lot sloppier since the beginning, but I reckon we should still try to stay near the "textual evidence" of the podcast, as it were. Or at least to try to avoid directly contradicting the sayings of Cleric DM.

But hey, we're ultimately here to have fun. I'll certainly be extremely interested in what ever you might want to write!

Ooh, tackling the edition change sounds intriguing! I'll be sure to keep an eye out for that update!

And no worries, I feel the same way about keeping within canon. It's more of a challenge that way. :D

Sugarbolt

Festival Briggs: Eveningshire

Postby Sugarbolt » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:26 pm

((Be warned, this "letter" turned out much more fanfic-y than I had anticipated!))

Cleric Baer ~

Worry not, my industrious new friend! I insist, if coin is tight, payment will not be necessary. As I reminded Old Diem when he reached out to me: The day a bard the likes of Festival Briggs starts making demands, he may as well set up in a tavern and croon to the lushes! A bit on-the-nose, but you get my meaning. You were right to come to me on the subject of locals ~ if there's one thing I understand, it's people ~ you could say I was born with a particular 'knack' for it.

Now then! Eveningshire! You're in luck, friend, because yours truly knows this town backwards and forwards ~ something you learn out of necessity, if you call it 'home'. I did, for a time, and even visited recently! I'll tell you now, try not to take the secondhand stories to heart. You'll find that only one out of every ten rings true, and even then, the cause is often the same.

Nevertheless, judging by the tone of your letter, I'm sure you're eager for me to explain the strangeness reported about the area. Rest assured, I will touch upon these incidents. First, however, it is crucial that I make something abundantly clear...

You see, Cleric, it remains a little-known fact is that Eveningshire has the single largest Changeling population known in Drunkeros. Not terribly surprising if you're familiar with the surrounding territory, all bracken and twisted wood, but I feel this is too important a detail to tiptoe around. I hear you're well-traveled yourself, so you may already be aware of changeling struggles ~ not persecution exactly, but they certainly aren't welcome in larger cities. Not to suggest there are none living in, say, Caer, but you're unlikely to hear from them, is my point. So many are afraid to take up their own identities, living instead as humans or elves, it's rare that they create anything of their own. Changelings, for all the centuries they've spent in Drunkeros, have almost no culture of their own.

And upon being chased into the woods, where Eveningshire now stands, some small bit of color had at last sparked in their minds, and still does today. Slowly but surely, changelings there are learning to step outside of their boundaries, and explore their unique potential ~ and in the presence of humans, no less! Fair enough, not all of them feel so safe as to reveal their true faces, but progress is progress. In Eveningshire, they have the room to at least consider it.

On the subject of the human population ~ nearly equal to that of changelings, if you were curious ~ it appears Eveningshire has proven to assist their kind in broadening their horizons as well! Where outside these woods, you might expect to see a human curse and damn all other races under the sun, the men taking up refuge here appear to have adapted rather well to their pale-eyed neighbors. Of course, there's the little tidbit that the ancestors of these humans were criminals and the like, chased into the woods with even greater ferocity, but there appears to be some honesty amid refugees. I can't say I disapprove of the origin, if the two are living largely in peace today. Gods, the town is one of the few democracies in all of the world! They hold regular elections, of all things! For all intents and purposes, many of the current citizens sound enthusiastic about what they've accomplished in this regard. It's a surprisingly comfortable arrangement, even compared to more "modern" burgs I could mention.

You know, now that I mull it over, I suppose it's possible that Eveningshire's temperament of progress is what contributed most to its hearty academic backbone. The local college, I've been assured, has been making great strides finding the balance between science and magic. One young man bragged to me that they have learned to harness lightning, and can tell it to do work? I can't say I grasped much of his lingo, but it certainly sounded impressive! The last I heard, once the mail routes opened to Eveningshire, there was no shortage of curious and creative souls looking to make their mark at EUMS ~ students AND teachers! Oh! And they have a wonderfully impressive telescope on their rooftop ~ now astrology, *that* I can get behind.

Now then... The stories. Consider the following encounters: You are a foreigner to Eveningshire, unacquainted with the local flavor. You visit the general store on two separate occasions, and on the second, the shopkeep's entire family has been replaced. There's no explanation; the new family insists they've lived there all their lives. Rightfully confused, you exit, and as you step into the daylight you think, for only a moment, that you witnessed a figure pure white rounding a corner. Growing nervous, you turn around, and you swear that mere moments ago the full-grown dwarf crossing the street had been a human child.

At that point, the stories write themselves, don't they? An educated man like yourself, I very much doubt you're taken aback by now. The simple truth, sir, is that you can expect the everyday misunderstanding anywhere in the world ~ the same can be said of Eveningshire, with only the slightest of differences. Mind you, I can't quite speak to the fantastic tales of how changelings and Eveningshire came to be ~ of Dopplegangers descending from the stars like angels, and so on. To be frank I haven't the faintest desire to look into these claims; there clearly aren't any walking around today... That would just be silly.

Of course, there are genuine disturbances now and then, magical and natural, but no more or less than anywhere else. The only way these might startle the uninformed is if they happen to view our unique solution to said problems: Witches, in lieu of the traditional guard element. Yes, I can already hear you pondering, "isn't that a tad extreme?" But no! In fact, the local coven, calling themselves simply "The Watchers in the Woods", maintain a wholly respectful relationship with Eveningshire. Outcasts need stand together, after all! The town provides them with labor and goods, and in turn they supply protection ~ along with the odd remedy here and there.

It's not rare for local women to wish to join their circle, either. My own younger sister, for instance; the proudest I ever saw her was when she was accepted as a Watcher. I found it rather strange at the time, but I can see now how honorable a position its become in the territory, to do the truly difficult tasks and protect your own. To my embarrassment, on my last visit, I wished Lex the greatest of ease in her work, and she gave me a rap on the head for it ~ in her own words, ease would defeat the entire point. Let's go ahead and call that a lesson for both of us, eh friend?

I'm certain I'm forgetting something...

Ah, that's right ~ you had inquired about the rumors of some hooded cult infiltrating the town, and a glowing cloud? Chronicling a history of world religions next, I take it? Well regrettably, the last time I had stepped foot in Eveningshire, there was the barest trace of them left, and from the sound of it they were floored rather handily. Their allegedly sentient cloud had hardly lasted through the harvest season! Disappointing, isn't it? If I were in your place, I wouldn't bother myself with such amateurs; you come across their kind all the time when you live this deep in the woods, take it from me.

And yes, I am aware that Cleric Diem has alluded to the possibility of these being the long-theorized Uthgarian "Cat People". My, how people love to speculate these days. Understand, I might grant him the suggestion of Uthgar in this case, given presence of colored smoke, but I can say with confidence, in all of my travels, I have not seen one shred of evidence of a feline race. If it comes to light that there are any sapient humanoid Cats wandering Drunkeros, I say here and now that I will eat my wonderful hat.

In any case, it has always been my understanding that cats and changelings have a natural affinity for one another. Take a stroll simple around Eveningshire, and I promise you'll find them hard to avoid. Surely I would have caught wind of an entire race of them by now.

But alas, as you can tell, I am once again running low on ink. You would think a bard would know how to properly stock himself by now, but ye gods, not this bard. It appears that my next letter will have to wait until I locate a proper store. So many towns, such little progress... Wish me luck, and I'll return the favor ~ and if luck isn't what you need, then swift page turning, friend!

~ Fez

P.S. Your next letter will likely find me at Fairmire ~ roughly a week's ride out from Eveningshire. I hadn't intended to stay in this podunk town for long, but there's an inventive man here who is currently experimenting with the most delightful of new desserts! I have trails of my own to blaze, but I am determined not to leave until I know his secret!

Return to “General Discussion”