How did YOU guys and gals come across the show?:)

Moderator: Global Moderator

Danskull

How did YOU guys and gals come across the show?:)

Postby Danskull » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Hey all you lovely geeky people, newer listener here, first time forumer. I was wondering, how did yall stumble across the safe haven that is thriftys increasingly soothing voice? I personally did by accident,whilst looking at sonic fanart, when a certain picture of an indecent dragonborn popped up. Since that faithful day I have been hooked on all of geeklys amazing content. How did you come across the show? Share below:) or dont. Whatever...its whatever

BlackMageJawa

Re: How did YOU guys and gals come across the show?:)

Postby BlackMageJawa » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:29 pm

After (re)watching the Fiasco episode of Tabletop, I wanted to see/listen to more recorded games, and the TVtropes page mentioned Random Encounters. I followed the link, found the site, and started listening to everything.

Kalabajooie

Postby Kalabajooie » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:08 am

Some friends wanted to volunteer me to DM a campaign, so I literally searched "Dungeons & Dragons" in my Podcasts app to find inspiration. Saw "Drunks and Dragons," thought "this could be interesting," and subsequently binged on every episode (up to 60-ish, I believe... RIP Tum-Tum) and have been a regular listener since, even being inspired to seek out other real-play shows to fill the void between episodes.

Spoiler alert: most others aren't as good, due most often to a lack of chemistry between players (or just one player being a horribly immature misogynistic jerkwad.)

Genuinely considering a "Slab Start" for a future Adventure. No reason. ::)
Watch me play games and hear my sonorous voice at http://www.youtube.com/Kalabajooie
Check out my Twitter maybe. http://www.twitter.com/WhatIsAClayton

mointrigue

Postby mointrigue » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:58 am

I think it was in December of 2012. I had just re-listened to one of the Penny Arcade/PvP D&D adventures, and found myself thinking that there had to be something else out there like that. So I searched in iTunes for "Dungeons & Dragons" and stumbled upon the show. I think Episode 5 was the most recent episode, but I went ahead and started at 1. It enjoyed it, and was hooked for good by the reveal of the Dreadwing Behemoth. :)

terrible speaker

Postby terrible speaker » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:07 am

i got real bored one day, typed 'dragon' into the itunes store search, found this. think it was episode 13 at that point.

duxck

Postby duxck » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:14 pm

I found Drunks and Dragons about three weeks ago after I caught up with The Adventure Zone (with the McElroy brothers and their dad) I have now listened up to episode 62 (Where they discuss time travel with Lord Thom Fidalus). TAZ really made me realize that I had a need for more DnD podcasts and took a while to locate something as good as this. I must say that I enjoy Drunks and dragons more than any others I have found.

I've been working 12h night shifts from 6pm to 6am for the summer so it has been a breeze to work while laughing and listening to the shenanigans of our lovely adventurers.

Thrifty, Tim, Mike and Cheeky have really great voices for this sort of work (though Tim can hurt my ears from time to time... less now since Tum is dead and don't need to hear him shrieking his sly flourishes). The way Thrifty manages to keep the campaign on track amazes me as he doesn't seem to need to railroad too often... I want more of Thom though, the dragonborn and his sword that starts with b and ends with lood drinker really is the best character at this point. He still hasn't got his memories but feels like he's the richest character where you can sort of expect on what he will do.

Any way, great show. If I had iTunes I would def. give a review and 5 starts.

Sincerely
duxck from Sweden.

jokersgrundy

Postby jokersgrundy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:54 pm

Jason Anarchy was raising funds for Drinking Quest 3 on Indiegogo. He sent out a link for the Drunks & Dragons Kickstarter to his backers. I listened to their podcast and was hooked.

StephOKingston

Postby StephOKingston » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:42 am

Danskull wrote: I personally did by accident,whilst looking at sonic fanart, when a certain picture of an indecent dragonborn popped up.

Wait a minute. I feel like you just glossed over that a bit there and I have ALL the questions. Namely:

Really?

Danskull

Postby Danskull » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:57 pm

StephOKingston wrote:
Danskull wrote: I personally did by accident,whilst looking at sonic fanart, when a certain picture of an indecent dragonborn popped up.

Wait a minute. I feel like you just glossed over that a bit there and I have ALL the questions. Namely:

Really?

Yep, pretty much :)
I was already a fan of dungeons and dragons before hand, but I had never heard of the podcast. One day, my friend was showing me this weird sonic fanart she found on the internet, one of which was thom snuggling in like a baby to his true love with the caption "Drunks and Dragons"
I thought to myself "Thats something I can get behind" and here we now are ;D still one of my favourite fan arts
Your awesome btw steph ;D

Smarms

Postby Smarms » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:06 am

I had been following Acquisitions Inc. (Penny Arcade's D&D Podcast), and decided to search for another podcast to fill the time. I found Drunks and Dragons after some serious googling, the gang were on episode 5 when I found the podcast. I consider myself a near-slabber, been with the show and listened to the entire thing 3 times through now.

StephOKingston

Postby StephOKingston » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:20 pm

Danskull wrote:I was already a fan of dungeons and dragons before hand, but I had never heard of the podcast. One day, my friend was showing me this weird sonic fanart she found on the internet, one of which was thom snuggling in like a baby to his true love with the caption "Drunks and Dragons"
I thought to myself "Thats something I can get behind" and here we now are ;D still one of my favourite fan arts
Your awesome btw steph ;D

Well shit, I can't top that story.

Also, thank you.

The Zinga

Postby The Zinga » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:21 am

My friends and I started Larping a while back and in preparation for all this crazy wacky shit I was getting into I started making some Chainmail so my Character wouldn''t die on me.. For anyone who hasn''t tried making Chainmail it takes a SUUUPER long to do,, you need still hands for it and to be focused on what you are doing.. I normally just listen to music while working on stuff but I decided that to get into the fantasy mindset once more,, a fantasy game podcast would do that trick!! A ""Real Play Larp Podcast"" would make next to no sense,, so I just typed in D&D Podcast in Google.. All of it was just hype for D&D Next stuff at the time so I retyped it as DnD Podcast.. Found a whole website straight up just called that and figured that this had to work.. I started listening to Episode 1 the same day Episode 32 came out!! Also this Podcast is not a smart thing to listen to whilst working with metal wire,, Tin Snips the size of your hand,, and pliers,, on the account of all the laughing and whatnot.. Never did finish that Chainmail....

Danskull

Postby Danskull » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:48 am

The Zinga wrote:Also this Podcast is not a smart thing to listen to whilst working with metal wire,, Tin Snips the size of your hand,, and pliers,, on the account of all the laughing and whatnot.. Never did finish that Chainmail....

...you didn't cut your hands off, did you?
If so, we have a winner

The Zinga

Postby The Zinga » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:36 am

Danskull wrote:...you didn't cut your hands off, did you?
If so, we have a winner

Sadly,, I did not.. But it did cost me more band--aids than I would like to admit....

Mr. Dork

Postby Mr. Dork » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:40 pm

Danskull wrote:Hey all you lovely geeky people, newer listener here, first time forumer. I was wondering, how did yall stumble across the safe haven that is thriftys increasingly soothing voice? I personally did by accident,whilst looking at sonic fanart, when a certain picture of an indecent dragonborn popped up. Since that faithful day I have been hooked on all of geeklys amazing content. How did you come across the show? Share below:) or dont. Whatever...its whatever

I drew that! Glad I could pass on the torch since it was because of some fanart of Thom I found this podcast.
The amazing Kendra P posted some drawings of Thom and Harper on Tumblr and I had to find out where those characters came from. I think the show was in it's 70s by that time. Took me a couple of months to catch up.
Check out my webcomic at SuperRedundant.com

Return to “General Discussion”