How did YOU guys and gals come across the show?:)

Moderator: Global Moderator

Leumas

Re: How did YOU guys and gals come across the show?:)

Postby Leumas » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:05 am

I was really into going to the live Cast of Thrones shows when I could. They were streaming on tinychat I think. It was a really quirky site if you showed up to the chatroom first, even if you were just a viewer, the site would give you all sorts of admin privileges. That was a problem this one time when this human by the screen name of Cercei Lannister randomly became an admin and starting banning everyone.

Anyways in those days of Cast of Thrones they started talking about Dndpodcast! So I listened right from the beginning. Immediately I wanted to play some D&D so I started trying to get little games together at my work. Mostly we would all just get together get tipsy have some snacks and get stuck on character creation. We knew nothing about the game.

There was huge upheaval in my work life I traveled across the country to pursue some opportunities. But didn't know anyone and didn't think through all the logistics very well. I binged on Dndpodcast and Cast of Thrones during that time. That's really when the shows became a lot more important to me. I didn't know anyone work was very feast or famine and I sure I had netflix but relistening to these podcasts which are so inviting and goofy and fun really helped me feel connected. My circumstances have improved drastically since then this was all years ago but I'll always be grateful for the hard work Thrifty and the rest do to keep the weekly releases going that kept me sane when I just needed familiar voices.
-Samuel "Thirsty Nerd"

Reznorock

Postby Reznorock » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:03 am

It was brought to my attention some months ago. im still going through the episodes, currently on 101. I love a lot of stuff that has occurred. but I believe I may be obsessed with dog sausage.

God_Pocket

Postby God_Pocket » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:44 am

Hey everyone!! Been power housing through this podcast like a boss in preparation for GeeklyCon 2016. A friend of mine suggested this to me and I have no regrets of plugging in. I love the campaign that ThriftyNerd is putting together for them and am always looking forward to the next episode. Can not wait to till June. Hope to see a lot of you at GeeklyCon!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Slartibartfast

Postby Slartibartfast » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:09 am

I was a fan of the incomparable podcast crew and they started a D&D podcast spin off called total party kill which I enjoyed. I have been playing a 3.5e campaign for the the last year and a half and slowly developed a greater and greater appetite for D&D related material so I eventually googled "best D&D podcasts" and this and the Adventure Zone seemed to be well liked so I dove into both and have enjoyed them greatly.

0dius

Postby 0dius » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:58 pm

Came across it looking for more dnd podcasts. At the time I was listening to critical hit. Really the name sells them as something to check out, but I came in on maybe episode 2? I don't really remember. I didn't join the forums until CaF joined the forums, so here I am.
Creeping up, infiltratin' the geeks.
Twitter

Dr_Skylizard

Postby Dr_Skylizard » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:34 am

I was referred by the McElroy bros while listening to The Adventure Zone. They strongly recommended Drunks and Dragons so I figured I could fill some time between their bi-weekly episodes. I wasn't so sure after the first couple episodes, but 139 later it is now one of my favorite podcasts ever. Almost caught up. I'm not sure how I will spend my time after that. Listening to my own thoughts? **shudder**

gitchy42

Postby gitchy42 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:22 am

Probably one of the more boring ways to get into a podcast.

I was thinking about getting a new DnD group together, while listening to the last "new" podcast of the week of those that I was subscribed to at the time, and thought..."There has to be a DnD based podcast...right?". I put Dungeons and Dragons into the podcast app search, and hit 1 or 2 was Drunks and Dragons. It sounded interesting, so I listened to a few episodes and was quickly hooked!

plaidmenace

Postby plaidmenace » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:09 am

Last September I was trying to get into listening to podcasts and happened upon Drunks and Dragons in the podcast app. I was raised around Dungeons and Dragons, as my parents had a regular group from the late 80s to a year or so ago, and I thought it could be interesting podcast material even though I personally haven't played much.

For a few weeks the podcast sat in my subscriptions as I tried to muster the strength to give it a try (what I've seen of the online nerd community didn't inspire a lot of confidence and I was terrified that it would be a Gamers Gate supporting group.) Eventually the promise of a woman in the cast drew me in and I gave it a try and have been very very happily surprised. :))

TheSDragon

Postby TheSDragon » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:19 am

A friend of mine recommended i should listen to The Adventure Zone. If i remember correctly Justin McElroy recommended drunks and dragons. I've enjoyed both so much.

BadMuthaJeffer

Postby BadMuthaJeffer » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:30 pm

I stumbled across this glorious shower of debauchery and dragon boners by accident. I was just browsing to find something different to listen to that would keep me interested during my commutes. I saw the title and the picture of a drunk dragon and thought "sounds interesting, lets give one episode a listen." I'm now 88 episodes in and all other podcasts have fallen by the wayside. I've never played DnD but now i'm trying to get a group of my friends together.

couchmancer

Postby couchmancer » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:12 am

I just started listening to podcasts a few months ago, and figured a D&D show might be a laugh. This one sounded like the least stuffy and serious choice, and now it's my favorite podcast!

cglied

Postby cglied » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:08 am

I had just wrapped up reading David Ewalt's Of Dice and Men and it got me thinking about playing D&D again. To keep the mojo going I sampled a few live play podcats. Of all of the ones I tried, it was Drunks & Dragons that blended the mix of fun, character driven stories and humor that most appealed to me. It's been about a year and this is my absolute "go to" show.

Suit Sage

Postby Suit Sage » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:39 pm

I google searched for a dnd podcast. Funny how having your website be dndpodcast.com can make that come very high in the list.

Dropkik_Tondo

Postby Dropkik_Tondo » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:06 am

Everyone here has amazing stories of how they found this podcast.

I found it on GooglePlay about 2.5 weeks ago and am currently listening to episode 91. This podcast is quite possibly the most entertaining sound to pass through my ears ever. I easily can, and do, listen about 16 hours a day on average. I've been avoiding the live shows afraid of spoiling Thrifty's bomb-ass story telling, despite the rest of the gang taking it off the rails from time to time. Say like when a certain player starts a street fight over a hat. ;D . But I had to get involved in the amazing community I keep hearing about, can't wait to catch up so I can start listening to it live.

imriela

Postby imriela » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:37 am

Hi all,

I recently discovered the podcast from an ad I heard while I was listening to Hello From the Magic Tavern. Since I'd been looking for other podcasts to listen to, I decided to give it a try. Best thing I've ever done! I abandoned all other podcasts to start from episode 1 and I'm getting so close to catching up! Currently on episode 140. I'm hoping to start getting involved in the community! It seems like so much fun! :)

Return to “General Discussion”