What *is* Tum? (DUMB THEORY)

Moderator: Global Moderator

Sugarbolt

What *is* Tum? (DUMB THEORY)

Postby Sugarbolt » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:43 am

So I've been re-listening to a bunch of episodes at work (take that, productivity), and taking notes for a couple of DnD fic-esque things I'm working on, and a few odd points have come to my attention, and I have to ask... What, exactly, is Tum Thumble/Darkblade?

Here are some early facts about his life:

- His childhood home was destroyed by *demons* (not gryphons, as I had previously assumed).
- While hiding from the demons, he was found and saved by a familiar man with red hair.
- Years later, the night before he auditioned for the Thumble Arena, a man came to him with extremely helpful equipment.
- Soon after fleeing Caer he was kidnapped, and had a volatile "zombie hulk" device installed in his head, on the orders of Fennekin.

Now, at this point I believe we all draw the same conclusion: Fennekin must be this helpful stranger. However, for this to be the case, that would have to mean Fennekin had manipulated every crucial step of his life. His very fate was predestined by our ginger villain. BUT... we did not learn similar facts about anyone else. Aludra was a rebellious youth, Junpei had just fled a realm of cannibals, and Thom... Well, I'll get to Thom.

So, hypothetically, what would make little Tum so very special to Fennekin? Likely not much in the very beginning, in my opinion, but if we follow the conclusion that it was Fennekin who found Tum after destroying his home, certain other facts begin to stand out:

- During his time living on the streets, Tum was allegedly saved from starvation by a lone Darkblade.
- He received outside assistance when hoping to enter Trant Thumble's "family".
- One of Trant Thumble's greatest concerns, apart from Fennekin, is the Darkblades.
- The Darkblades chose Tum (now a Thumble) to steal Blood Drinker: a demonic weapon.
- After Blood Drinker was turned over to the Darkblades, Trant Thumble was quick to intercept and retrieve it, but he still did not wield it.
- Fennekin is able to access the Braizer of Worlds and reach into the past.
- A cleric of Orcus allegedly orchestrated the downfall of House Vidalis.

SO. Him being a cleric of Orcus, let's assume that Fennekin at the very least knows about Blood Drinker, having at least interacted with Lord Thom. Could this have been one of his early failed attempts to claim Blood Drinker? Let's say he fails there (due to the blade's continuity-breaking destruction), and then searches for an alternate route. The next most vulnerable time in Blood Drinker's hectic existence is when it's stashed away in Trant Thumble's trophy room. He would try on his own at first, gaining an ample amount of distrust, and failing that he would need an inside-man. And what better inside man than one with no memories, and something to prove...? Sure, Fennekin might have attempted to hire more senior Darkblades at first (immediately putting Trant on the lookout for them as well), but how convenient would it be if you had someone stealing the sword for you, who didn't even know it?

Trant Thumble is never seen wielding Blood Drinker. Couldn't this be because he knows how dangerous the sword is? Why else would he be so very quick to retrieve it from the Darkblades? What other reason could he have to want to run Fennekin out of Caer? Why would the Darkblades, thieves for hire, be such a high-ranking threat to him, who is so much more powerful by comparison?

Long story short? I believe Fennekin is after Blood Drinker. I believe he manipulated Tum from the very beginning to this end (who's to say that Darkblade who fed him was even the genuine article?). I believe that he has plans in store for our favorite demonic weapon, and that he will stop at nothing to attain it.

I WOULD LIKE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THIS IS A DUMB THEORY, AND I'M DUMB FOR TAKING THE TIME TO WRITE IT. I'M SORRY, I AM SO SORRY.

Shadowette

Re: What *is* Tum? (DUMB THEORY)

Postby Shadowette » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:24 pm

Don't be sorry first off. This is a really, really REALLY good theory. Just like how there are no dumb questions, I believe when you have this much information, there can be no such thing as a dumb theory. It is really good and you should keep working on it, cause who knows, maybe everyone is involved some how.

jokersgrundy

Postby jokersgrundy » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:26 pm

I'm comforted knowing that I'm not the only one taking notes for fanfic. ;D

Sugarbolt

Postby Sugarbolt » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:27 am

Shadowette wrote:Don't be sorry first off. This is a really, really REALLY good theory. Just like how there are no dumb questions, I believe when you have this much information, there can be no such thing as a dumb theory. It is really good and you should keep working on it, cause who knows, maybe everyone is involved some how.

D'aww, thanks, dude! xD I was mostly kidding, but I still really appreciate the kind words! :D And yeah, I plan to flesh this out more at some point.

jokersgrundy wrote:I'm comforted knowing that I'm not the only one taking notes for fanfic. ;D

Right on! Super stoked to hear this! Just one bit of advice, though, try not to rely too heavily on the wiki - it's somewhat incomplete/incorrect in places. I think I'd like to try and get it updated at some point.

jokersgrundy

Postby jokersgrundy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:37 pm

Yeah, I discovered that about the Wiki. I started re-listening to the podcast and taking notes, which I think has worked out better though it's time consuming. I try to add things from the podcast into the stories like little Easter eggs. I'm not sure if anyone has picked up on them, but it's fun for me at least. :)

existenceisrelative

Postby existenceisrelative » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:39 am

Well, i love this theory. So i'll just be dumb with you. I had my own theory about the early story resembling the Shadowrun video game for SNES. And i have my own fanfic canon about the founding of Newfoundus Town and the origin of Shadowspar Keep. So we could start a club.

Sugarbolt

Postby Sugarbolt » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:30 pm

existenceisrelative wrote:Well, i love this theory. So i'll just be dumb with you. I had my own theory about the early story resembling the Shadowrun video game for SNES. And i have my own fanfic canon about the founding of Newfoundus Town and the origin of Shadowspar Keep. So we could start a club.

Oooh! I would love to hear your theory, dude! :D

existenceisrelative

Postby existenceisrelative » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:39 pm

Took a while to find it, but it's here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=264&p=2014#p2014

I don't remember half the details anymore, or i would have just gone over it.

Return to “General Discussion”