Best Ep. to introduce resistant fiance...

Moderator: Global Moderator

bosstones737

Best Ep. to introduce resistant fiance...

Postby bosstones737 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:58 pm

TL:DR Version:
So here's the challenge for all you geekly friends:
What is the best episode to introduce a non-DND Fiancé to Drunkeros?
Ideally they would check the following boxes:
- Good balance of Action / RP / Story
- Not rule or math heavy
- Doesn't spoil any significant plot points
- Is fun and hooks you!

The Long Version
Hey Geekly gang!
Slabber (non-OG) here. I have wanted to introduce my fiancé to Drunks and Dragons for a LONG time now but she is VERY resistant to the whole idea of DnD or even rpgs altogether - I think she would like them if she gave them a chance. She is into GoT, but thats about it, fantasy-wise. She also likes podcasts, but I need to get her hooked if I can expect her to listen to hour-long eps. When I started I sampled the then-current episode 141. Problem is that was the episode where
Harper finally reunited with Adira
so the entire lead up to that plot point was spoiled for me.

So here's the challenge for all you geekly friends:
What is the best episode to introduce a non-DND Fiancé to Drunkeros?

Ideally they would check the following boxes:
- Good balance of Action / RP / Story
- Not rule or math heavy
- Doesn't spoil any significant plot points
- Is fun and hooks you!

She makes her mind up quickly so I might only have one shot at this. Thank you all in advance for your thoughts!
Okay, Bye!

SoffyHoffers

Re: Best Ep. to introduce resistant fiance...

Postby SoffyHoffers » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:51 pm

Oh, man, I want to say from the beginning because every episode is so funny, but the only problem about that is the equipment was not good in the beginning so the sound quality compared to what it is currently was lacking.

I know I didn't answer your question really, but it's been a while since you posted. Have you picked an episode to try already?

bosstones737

Postby bosstones737 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:51 am

Sadly, I have not yet taken the dive to introduce her to DnD yet.
Like I said, I think I only have one shot at it and I agree the early eps lack a little in quality, and they are LONG.

That being said I DO agree that so much of the amazing humor and story comes from following through from the beginning.
Perhaps the real answer is to indeed start her at the beginning and use the abridged episodes - they cut through a lot of the issues in those early eps.

Thanks for posting your thoughts though! I was starting to think it didn't post correctly or something.

SoffyHoffers

Postby SoffyHoffers » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:52 pm

One of my favorites was the Thanksgiving episode (dread winged behemoth), which is early on, no spoilers, some good goofs. The abridged versions might be the way to go, you may be right on that one. My only problem with the abridged versions are that they cut out a lot of the goofs, the back and forths of the gang, and if she's opposed to the actual DnD portion and not the banter of a podcast crew, you might be giving her the parts she doesn't like.

Sorry, I don't mean to be contradictory or anything; just trying to give you points to think about for each side. I for sure know the stress of trying to pick a good episode to introduce someone to a podcast. I failed pretty miserably because I picked one I hadn't listened to in a long time and didn't realize the episode I picked was one where the hosts bashed the person's faith relentlessly. ^____^" I'm sure you'll do better, and you most definitely couldn't do worse.

Good luck!

bosstones737

Postby bosstones737 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:22 am

The Thanksgiving episode WAS fantastic. That really was the first time where I REALLY got it. I agree with you about the shortcomings of the abridged episodes - so many of the jokes build over a full conversation and the final punchline is all that makes it into the goofs reel at the end.

Either I will start off with the Thanksgiving episode, or maybe the 1st abridged with the intent to get her to the thanksgiving episode before she gives it a thumbs up or down.

Thanks for feeling my pain on this! It's a shame it's so stressful - this show is SO good, I just wanna be able to share it with her. Thanks for your help!!

Return to “General Discussion”