How many is too many?

Moderator: Global Moderator

Frothy Loins

How many is too many?

Postby Frothy Loins » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:32 pm

Hey everyone, just got back from my brothers wedding which was a pretty sweet ordeal. (The groomsman received professionally crafted lifetime guarantee short swords! Renn fair here we come.) The wedding brought me back together with some friends I've lost touch with over the years, one of which introduced me to d&d 23 years ago, another friend who gamed with us 10 years ago. The nostalgia of all those great times came flooding back, and I would love to have them play with us once again. The problem is we already have 5 p.c.'s and from my experience from last edition 4 or 5 tended to be the sweet spot, more than that ended up turning into grueling multiple hour long battles. 5th ed is obviously far more streamlined, so i'm unclear as to if it would work to play a game with 7 pc's. In fourth boredom and excessive cross chatter set in as everyone waited 20+ minutes for their turn and banter with npc's was often chaotic as everyone had questions and ideas on how to handle the situation. Can anyone speak to your personal experiences with a larger then average party? thanks

Frothy

Kalabajooie

Re: How many is too many?

Postby Kalabajooie » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:13 am

The last time I was part of a large game, there was a total of 10 players in 3.5. Luckily the GM was very experienced and moved quickly from player to player, trusting us to kibitz among ourselves in between and swiftly arbitrating rule-related disputes without tolerating lawyering. If something required a lookup, he moved on and let the players resolve it to their own satisfaction, returning later to hear our judgment.
Maybe we got lucky and 10 is sort of a second "sweet spot" when almost everyone is well-versed and the GM can roll with it. Maybe try running an off-canon one-shot and see how things go? Maybe even dovetail the old campaign into the new if it works. If not, run parallel campaigns like DnD/Darkblades. Most importantly have fun with it.
Watch me play games and hear my sonorous voice at http://www.youtube.com/Kalabajooie
Check out my Twitter maybe. http://www.twitter.com/WhatIsAClayton

existenceisrelative

Postby existenceisrelative » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:34 am

Unfortunately, the most solid answer i can give is "it depends". It depends on the mix of personalities. If you have a couple people who are more quiet, and observatory in their habits, then 7 could work out fantastically! If you have 6 people who talk over others, or worse, don't talk at all while one person does his bacon-impersonation with the spotlight; it could be trouble. But i've had 7 people in a party, and it was great. Which should be even more amazing because it was an online game! In a game where all the people know each other, or at least have mutual acquaintances? Should theoretically be even smoother. Personally, my magic number is 6. Not sure why, but i know it is.

cody.c.benson

Postby cody.c.benson » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:04 pm

I have run a 4th edition game with 8 people before and it was pretty hard when it came to combat and role play. Though I found out the best way to speed up combat is divide and conquer and the best way to simplify roleplaying is the same. Get the party in a situation where half of them have to defuse a bomb (or disarm a trap, like a room filling up with water) while the other half have to battle the monsters. For role play, sometimes you need to split the party up, get some of them in one situation and the others in another. Or you should get the PC's to talk with each other and you should play the NPC. This will take some of the work off of you, which as a DM is a very valuable skill to have. Sometimes with DnD combat it can take awhile but I find that if the combat can go either way and lives and dies on a dice roll, the players will be more engaged and focused on the combat. Fifth does speed things up by reducing HP and increasing damage but I do feel like 5-6 should be your max number of players, this will give you good variety without slowing things down too much.

MFISH

Postby MFISH » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:56 pm

Well frothy i know its now been awhile since you asked this question but i thought i would add my two cents. First i would like to through in that i do not play 4e i played AD&D 2e back in the day and now play 5e. I can say that i play in a game at my local store that on occasion can have group sizes of up to 8-10 in the party. You can move through the party fairly quickly as long as everyone has an understanding that they need to move along and chat between people has to be side bar stuff. If you have the group together regularly i would think that they would find a sweet spot for action and chat and the game would work out.

Return to “General Game Discussion”