Table top games

Moderator: Global Moderator

cody.c.benson

Table top games

Postby cody.c.benson » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:10 pm

I was wondering what is everyone's favorite table top game? There are so many different types I think we should split it into RPG's and board type games. My favorite RPG is D&D and I would have to say my favorite board type game is Settlers of Catan.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone and to Geeklycon in June, here in Portland.

KieranB

Re: Table top games

Postby KieranB » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:25 am

Well Arkham Horror will always, always have a special place in my heart as the first 'big' board game i ever owned. But I am also very partial to Pandemic and Flash Point. A friend of mine also owns Eclipse and that is always a good time, even if I am awful at it.

And of course my favorite RPG is DnD. Goes without saying.

cody.c.benson

Postby cody.c.benson » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:11 am

Arkham horror seems to be a popular one with everyone I've talked to, though I have never played it. Munchkin is fun too. A couple of games I want to try would be resistance and coup just because they seem very intense.

KieranB

Postby KieranB » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:53 pm

Coup is the best. I love it, just love it. The hilarity that comes from so much lying is impressive.

Arkham Horror I find is one of those games that people can really like, or really not like. I find its best if you really give yourself over to theme of trying to defeat these giant monsters from another dimension, treat it more like a kind of role-playing game than a strict board game.

cody.c.benson

Postby cody.c.benson » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:03 pm

I do love a good role play game so Arkham Horror would probably be a good fit for me. Co Op games are very interesting to me but I have not played many usually due to the high price point of some of those games, but the ones I have played are really fun. Sometimes it's really hard to get a D&D group together to play a campaign so co op board games are a good alternative.

Coup seems awesome. A game that is all poker face and your ability to bluff does seem like it will make some very memorable moments. Plus it has way more replay ability unlike games such as cards against humanity (which is still a fun game). Sounds like I will have to pick up a copy of Coup though and get my friends hooked!

KieranB

Postby KieranB » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:06 pm

I would also highly recommend Pandemic and Flash Point as great co-op games. And neither are too expensive.

Yes! The best games of Coup that we've had is where no one actually has any kind of idea what their cards are and just straight up lies the whole way through. Sort of turns into, "Do I have the Duke card? I'm genuinely not sure at this point".

Suit Sage

Postby Suit Sage » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:29 pm

My favorite board game would have to be Cosmic Encounter. Other favorites include Paperback and Mage Knight. Also anything by Vlaada Chvatil is amazing.

Oh, I also play a fair bit of Dice Masters!

cody.c.benson

Postby cody.c.benson » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:51 am

I have never heard of Cosmic Encounter, Paperback, or Mage Knight. What kind of games are they?

Suit Sage

Postby Suit Sage » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:23 am

Cosmic Encounter is a sort of hand management & negotiation game. Basically, each player has their home planets with their ships on them. To win, a player must have at least one ship on a certain number of enemy planets. Each turn, you will find which person you are attacking, then the other players will possibly ally with you or your opponent (if you let them), and the two main players will play a card to add to their totals. The thing that really makes the game great is at the beginning of the game, every player gets a power (you are all alien races after all) that drastically affect the game. One power allows you to ask another player a yes-or-no question once a turn that they must answer truthfully (and adhere to). One power allows you to declare an 'upset' for an encounter which causes the loser to win and the winner to lose. Another power just makes all your ships worth 4 instead of 1.

Paperback is a deck-building word-building game. You do standard deckbuilding, but the cards all have one (or two) letters on them, and in order to get the value from your cards, you have to spell out a single word with what you have in your hand. Tons of fun.

Mage Knight is a grand fantasy game where each player controls a powerful mage knight. It's part deck-building as you will add cards to your deck, but each turn is sort of a puzzle since every card can be played for its normal ability, a special powered-up ability if you have the mana to spend for it, or you can play the card sideways for a small (but flexible) usage. Even moving can sometimes be quite the feat, but boy is it rewarding. It's a very involved game with a lot of things going on, but is truly epic. Very much a "board gamer's board game."

I recommend looking up reviews if you want a better understanding. Shut Up & Sit Down and Dice Tower are my go-to's for reviews and the like (and you can obviously check out boardgamegeek for more info)

Return to “General Game Discussion”