The Watchdog and Watchman (5e Homebrew)

Moderator: Global Moderator

BearofBadNews

The Watchdog and Watchman (5e Homebrew)

Postby BearofBadNews » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:30 pm

Hello! I thought I'd share a couple of recent homebrew creations for an upcoming campaign. As you can see, I'm intending to set up a recurring behind-the-scenes villain for the first arc of play, the Dark Watcher- Maal Ogg. Maal Ogg has many agents pulling strings and keeping an eye on things in our world, and the heroes will likely find it behind several of the evil plots they foil in the first few adventures.

Watchdog
CR ¼ (50 xp) medium monstrosity, NE
AC:13 [18] Proficiency: +2
HP:27 (5d8+5) [7]
STR 13 (+1) DEX 14 (+2) CON 12 (+1) INT 3 (-4) WIS 13 (+1) CHA 8 (-2)
Skills: Perception +5, Stealth +4
Senses: darkvision 120ft., passive Perception 15
Evil Eye: Creatures of Maal Ogg gain much of their power from an unnatural magical eye, referred to as an “Evil Eye.” The eye has hit points equal to ¼ of the creature’s own, and an AC 5 higher than the creature’s own with resistance to all non-magical damage. The eye must be specifically targeted to be damaged. If this eye is destroyed, they lose all associated magical abilities.

Multiattack: The watchdog makes one bite attack and one gaze attack with its Evil Eye each turn.
Bite: reach 5, attack +3 3 damage(1d4+1)
Arresting Gaze:
The watchdog targets a single creature it can see within 60 ft. The creature must make a DC 10 Dex save to avoid its gaze. Failure results in the Restrained condition until the watchdog’s next turn.
Or,
Two watchdogs may both forego their usual gaze attack to force one target they can both see within 60 ft. to make a DC 12 Con save. Failure results in the Restrained condition for 1d4 rounds.

Shared Sight: All creatures joined by Maal Ogg share their vision with one another and their Master. Even if blinded, treat this creature as capable of sight as long as it is in the company of other creatures of Maal Ogg who can see.

Watchman
CR 1 (200 xp) medium humanoid, NE
AC:11 [16] Proficiency: +2
HP:65 (10d8+20) [16]
STR 14 (+2) DEX 10 (+0) CON 14 (+2) INT 12 (+1) WIS 12 (+1) CHA 14 (+2)
Skills: Perception +5, Religion +3
Senses: darkvision 120ft., passive Perception 15
Languages: Common, Deep Speech
Sword Attack: reach 5, attack +4 4 damage(1d4+2)

Condition Immunities: charmed, frightened

Evil Eye: Creatures of Maal Ogg gain much of their power from an unnatural magical eye, referred to as an “Evil Eye.” The eye has hit points equal to ¼ of the creature’s own, and an AC 5 higher than the creature’s own with resistance to all non-magical damage. The eye must be specifically targeted to be damaged. If this eye is destroyed, they lose all associated magical abilities.

Greater Arresting Gaze:
The watchman makes a gaze attack with its Evil Eye on up to 3 targets it can see within 60 ft. They must make a DC 12 Con save. Failure results in the Restrained condition until the watchman’s next turn.

Evil Eye Spellcasting:
The Watchman can cast spells with its gaze attack as a 2nd level Cleric. Charisma is the spellcasting ability for these spells. It needs no components, but must have line of sight with its Evil Eye.
Cantrips (at will):
Resistance
Sacred Flame
1st level (3 slots):
Bane
Guiding Bolt

Shared Sight: All creatures joined by Maal Ogg share their vision with one another and their Master. Even if blinded, treat this creature as capable of sight as long as it is in the company of other creatures of Maal Ogg who can see its surroundings.
============================================================
Check out my (often Dungeons and Dragons-related) Tumblr: http://red-fathoms.tumblr.com/
Or my webzone: http://www.alex-mitchell-studio.com/

BearofBadNews

Re: The Watchdog and Watchman (5e Homebrew)

Postby BearofBadNews » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:32 pm

I'd love any feedback- how does look for CR? The gaze attacks are pretty tough in certain circumstances.
============================================================
Check out my (often Dungeons and Dragons-related) Tumblr: http://red-fathoms.tumblr.com/
Or my webzone: http://www.alex-mitchell-studio.com/

Return to “General Game Discussion”