Best and Worst D&D/Roleplaying Experiences

Moderator: Global Moderator

StephOKingston

Best and Worst D&D/Roleplaying Experiences

Postby StephOKingston » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:06 am

Hey all, since D&D/Roleplaying are the ties that bind us, I figured we could discuss those greatest and lowest of moments.  What wonders and horrors were inflicted upon you?  What was your most amazing critical hit, or most soul crushing miss?

For me, it was my first character death.  Beriah Carey was my Deva bard and the party was fighting a pair of WerePandas.  They had been awoken in the night and poor Beriah was really hung over.  She was grabbed by a WerePanda but pushed to "safety" by another PC.  Unfortunately this put her into perfect charging range by the other bear.  The DM critted and did 45 points of damage, bringing Beriah from just above bloodied to completely and utterly dead in one move.  First character deaths hurt, but death by WerePanda really stings.

Also because she was a Deva I reincarnated her and the next version would shriek loudly anytime anybody said "bear."

So how about you guys?
Book, AC 17, Fort 13, Ref 15, Will 12

Dr.chuck

Re: Best and Worst D&D/Roleplaying Experiences

Postby Dr.chuck » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:24 am

well. i haven't had any good experiences. my gaming group sucks. theres one guy who always wants to dm even though he is horrible at it, and when we let him he only has about 10 minutes worth of material before he goes into panic mode. and when he pc's he tries to constantly de-rail my story. it normally ends up being a pissing match, and if he dms, he just kills my character...that mixed with someone who just tries to intimidate check his way through every scenario, makes for kinda boring game play.

MisterDoormat

Never leave character sheets unsupervised

Postby MisterDoormat » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:12 am

I guess one of my worst experiences was during my first roleplaying game.  It was the old Star Wars D6 game.  I was a Brash Pilot only able to on a good role fly straight.  While I was in the washroom one of the group changed my stat for Starfighter Piloting to 1D6.  Since I was unaware and the GM thought it was hilarious, I was left to play out the game unable to do anything in my X-Wing.  I ended up crashing into the side of a Starship. :/   

dr0wwarr10r

Postby dr0wwarr10r » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:57 pm

I'm sure everyone has experience with a player who just wants to screw everything that moves, I found a PDF supplement called blue magic: nymphology.  If anyone is having trouble I highly recommend this supplement.  From fiendish dire crabs to mordenkanens groping hand and the plane of lust, it will suit your needs.  I wound up solving my problem by using a creature i think called a knobgobbler. 
@dr0wwarr10r
Keeper of the donkey stable

michael
Administrator
Administrator

Postby michael » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:43 pm

I've been running what I consider to be an awesome campaign for a bunch of dip shits. They are the worst. You can learn more at dndpodcast.com

Generic Fighter

Postby Generic Fighter » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:04 am

Where do I start!?!? :P

Currently DM for Team Melee on Saturdays.  Of the 4 PCs, they possessed, at 4th level, approximately 2 Ranged attack options, one of which was a SINGLE ALCHEMIST FIRE and the other was the Vampire's Weakest possible action! At this point, I said EFF this, Homebrew Button is pressed in the CB and EVERYONE is getting a Free Ranged At-Will For Christmas in Mid October!!!!

Other Current Campaign I run is Online using Maptool. Team is slightly better. Slightly:P Been fun actually. Major events include the Boss of Heroic Tier being finished off by the Fighter's Pet Owlbear, The Bard's Majestic Word Quotes(Always different, Always Screwed Up and Funny as anything!), Insane Tiefling Star Pact Warlock naming the Female Minotaur Fighter "Cowthulu", And the Tale of the "Chicken-Chaser", their first Magic Weapon! This game must be awesome, seeing as one of the players wakes up at 2:30AM local time to play in it!

As for older games, my First ever Campaign earned the name "Brutal Adventures", mainly due to the Death and Reincarnation of the Party Barbarian. "Unglar, Half-Orc Barbarian" became "Unglar, Brown Bear Barbarian of Campaign Unbalancing"TM! Anything that was a Challenge for Unglar was Was too much of a Challenge for the rest of the Party! And Of course Unglar went Straight for the weaklings meant for the rest of the party, leaving the Big Bad Evil Guy for the weaker PCs to get nearly slaughtered by:P

That's some of the more memorable events I can recall at the moment.

GF
WARNING! I have a sense of humor and am NOT afraid to use it!

My PhotoBucket of random stuff, mostly Minis I've Mangled..I mean Painted and Modified :P
http://s124.beta.photobucket.com/user/G ... r/library/"]http://s124.beta.photobucket.com/user/GenericFighter/library/

0dius

Postby 0dius » Thu May 01, 2014 8:10 am

Guess I breathe life into this old thread (bump).

Saddest DnD experience. We had just put together a 3.5 game (I'm 12 at the time), spent the entire day building characters. I settled finally on a Wood Elf Ranger, picked out a fairly decent name that I have expunged from my memory, agonized over Point Blank shot and if Alarms was a necessary spell or complete bullshit. Well I took alarms, our group joins up, we camp and of course I set alarms.
The night passes uneventfully, unfortunately on our jaunt in the forest to some forsaken stone building we come across an extremely sticky spider web complete with spiders; who some how had made friends with a couple of owlbears. Unfortunately I crit failed and lost my weapon dealing 5 dmg to a friend, make my move action into the nice spider web to retrieve said weapon.

Long story short I get bit, poisoned and as my health is slowly trickling away from myself genius nice guy that is my group mate sets the web on fire to burn it away. Murdered in less than 30 minutes. As my pleas for help go on ignored, my group mates smirk at me, the young kid that found his way in this living room, as one of them chirps up, "Happens to all of us."

I'm not still bitter.
Creeping up, infiltratin' the geeks.
Twitter

Taunted Kibble

Postby Taunted Kibble » Thu May 01, 2014 11:04 pm

michael wrote:I've been running what I consider to be an awesome campaign for a bunch of dip shits. They are the worst. You can learn more at dndpodcast.com

HA!

Not sure how I missed this post when I joined. I have, as previously mentioned had a group player who always rolled female wood elf rangers and wanted to bang anyone, any time. Sort of like the bard guy from The Gamers. I think there is one in every group.
I also at some point found a pdf called "the complete book of sex" for 2nd edition/Advanced which I still have somewhere. Never did get to use it against him.

Too many "bad" experiences so i'll give what I consider my best ever adventure I DM'd.

My group rotated dm's because unlike some games, no-one wanted to do it full time so we ran sort of mini-campaigns and mix and matched characters who were the right levels. I had been working on an adventure for the groups highest level paladin who had a vaguely Arabian spin, based off of Azeem (Morgan Freeman's character from Robin Hood in the 90's). The adventure, which lasted maybe 3 or 4 sessions involved travelling to a different plane, assisting some long dead paladin endlessly fighting a horde of undead or something and ended up in him receiving his Holy Avenger scimitar.
Everything went well for the party, was just difficult enough to make them sweat and no one managed to break my story somehow. It was really well received for a completely created thing as opposed to people who generally picked stuff apart because they came up with some better way that it should have been.
Can't say I ever ran an adventure I was more proud of.

AoD Industries

Postby AoD Industries » Mon May 05, 2014 5:11 pm

My worst D&D experience was having two players get up and walk out of the game I was running - never to return until the DM changed. A fight with troglodytes in an underground cavern devolved into a real world fight over the rules governing flame propogation from magic spells. As with most inane arguments this particular debate was symptomatic of a greater issue where the wizard felt I was intentionally creating encounters that handicapped her because I openly disapproved of a spell loadout consisting of nothing but fireball and direct damage spells.

Although to this day I am dissatisfied with how I comported myself I wouldn't trade that experience for anything. It taught me two very important things: don't offer an unasked for critique of someone's choices because they might think you're making trouble on purpose later, and just because you're right doesn't mean you're being fun. (Although I probably wasn't even right that time.) Life lessons I try my best to apply for a better world through a more gentlemanly demeanor.

B_squared

Postby B_squared » Fri May 09, 2014 2:53 am

I think my worst D&D experience was my first campaign. There was one member in our party who was playing a kleptomaniac rogue and wouldn't deviate in the least. The DM allowed him to steal pretty much everything from other party members to the point where he stole our wizard's spellbook and all of his money, effectively rendering him useless. Eventually his luck ran out and he got on the bad side of our barbarian and the barbarian smooshed/cut him up into little pieces. After that he quit. Biggest take away is that if player v player conflict has to be present it has to be minimal.

As far as my best D&D goes, almost all of them have been good, so it's wicked hard to pick one.

SuperDuperJeff

Postby SuperDuperJeff » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:30 pm

The worst times I've had playing D&D aren't really that bad; I think it was just unfortunate for our DM who had to run it. We were playing 4e through this whole thing, which is actually my only real experience with playing D&D. So, the party we were playing with was way too large (7-8 PCs plus our DM), which meant that encounters were both extremely long with 15 plus minute waits between turns and extremely unbalanced. We would spend hours in encounters, hoping we would crit so that we could finally get a hit in since the monsters were way too overpowered. That, combined with a lack of teamwork, made fights super tedious, even when they were pretty great set pieces and in-game story bits. It just ended up so that everyone had to spec towards actually hitting enemies so that they wouldn't be completely useless in a fight.

Also, there were two of our PCs who had been playing with our DM for about a decade or so who would just completely strong arm him and the story. They were playing pixies, a ranger and a wizard, who apparently had no restrictions on the time they could fly, what they could carry, and they moved about 3 times as fast as any other PC. The most egregious offense was when an assassin/thief had left a note on a tree while we were fighting something. The ranger wouldn't let the guy go, and he wouldn't let the DM continue on with everyone else. So, the ranger spent an hour and a half "tracking" this assassin/thief even while failing skill checks, because he couldn't accept that his flying and ranger skills couldn't fix everything. Plus, they would steal all the loot. All the time. Every time.

Anyways, even with all that, D&D was always fun to play. Hopefully my 5e game goes a bit better though.

ADamnRobinson

Postby ADamnRobinson » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:32 pm

I've usually had pretty good experiences with games, mostly because it's been with a good group of friends. Some of the hilarity from our games in high school 3.5:

Our party was being chased by a colossal skeleton and we ran into a ruined nearby building attempting to find a place to hide where he couldn't reach us with his large size. He proceeded to rip the roof of the structure scattering us like cockroaches. While most of us took up defensive positions under the bar or behind a wall still attempting to hide, our druid ( who was constantly the source of ridicule in our group, he was definitely the omega wolf in that pack) announced that he was going to spontaneously turn into a tree to hide from the skeleton. He was undeterred when our DM informed him that even with limited intelligence the skeleton was still going to notice an out of place tree INSIDE the building and that the skeleton was watching him do that. Our DM shrugged and proceeded to have the skeleton rip the "tree" from the ground and then gleefully beat our human paladin to death with said "tree". A few resurrections later our Paladin refused to go anywhere with our druid.

The same druid was complaining that he didn't have any fancy magical stuff, even though he had the same amount of items the rest of us had (they just weren't very cool). Our DM tried to help him out and the next time we found treasure, in front of all of us, he randomly rolled a weapon and magical property. He rolled a throwing dagger with the magical property of....throwing! Since it was a bonus magical item our DM refused to re-roll it after he collected himself from almost choking laughing. Despite that, our druid cherished the knife and used it every chance he got to spite us.

A few sessions later we were locked in combat with a wicked green dragon. Our paladin and Cleric went down quickly leaving my Barbarian, our fighter and wizard the task of bringing this thing down alone (our rogue, our friends second character after a certain druid met an unfortunate end again, was being typically useless). We dealt it massive amounts of damage and took an equal amount. We were on our last legs when it flew close enough that our rogue announced triumphantly that he was going to throw his dagger at it. He critted on the roll which led to much excitement on his part, until he rolled his damage and with modifiers discovered that even critting he had dealt...1 damage. We all laughed at his ineptitude until we noticed our DM shaking his head as he informed us "the dagger flies through it's eye and kills it". Somehow we had left it at 1 hitpoint just in time for him to steal the show. He was impossible to deal with for an hour after that.

The final story involved my barbarian attempting to navigate a (unbeknownst to me) trapped room in which the floor was electrified when a stone was disturbed. As the floor became electrified I didn't have much time to react. I failed any kind of dex check to leap to safety quick enough (my dex was 3) but luckily I had the hitpoints to absorb the shock. I tore out of the room at top barbarian rage speed ending up in the hallway at the other side where my party mates were waiting. As I was panting and brushing the static out of my clothes my barbarian was not to happy to notice the paladin, who was a complete dick (character not player) that walked a perfect line between lawful good and everything else, was roaring with laughter. Since my wisdom was also low and our party had a very loosed feel to it, I thought a reasonable reaction was to punch him in the face. I rolled a crit on the attack and rolled max damage which with my hefty strength bonus(plus rage) dealt him a considerable amount of sub-dual damage. The DM said I hit him so hard that I dented his helm with my fist. For the rest of the campaign whenever we were in town, people we had to engage would make off-hand remarks to the paladin that his helm was dented and they knew where they could get him a new one. This created a hilarious begrudging friendship between our two characters. We spent the rest of the campaign as a tag team who would split their time between incredible acts of heroism and almost alignment changing acts(the paladin had a bright idea to use his create water spell to basically water-board goblins while I held them down and yelled at them in goblin)

That's all I recall for now, but it was a great few years of campaigning.
I've found the right group and DM can make any campaign a hugely entertaining process, while the wrong ones can make it an ordeal.

Oh also one time our dwarf fighter got petrified and we couldn't figure out a way to haul him down this snowy mountain summit to get him to a cleric, so I jumped on him and rode him down the mountain like a sled. It worked surprising well although he wasn't happy when we "defrosted" him.

JamesKPolkerface

Postby JamesKPolkerface » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:52 am

I've only ever been part of one campaign played to completion, but it was with a fantastic group and we had a heap of memorable moments. For some reason the best moments and the worst moments were almost exclusively the same moments though. Can't imagine why.

In any case, I made a few comics about those times for r/DnD. Here they are. I am sorry I was too dumb to figure out how to make them smaller.

OneImage

TwoImage

ThreeImageImageImageImage

Generic Fighter

Postby Generic Fighter » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:52 am

Pics Saved!

GF

Riddler_Justin

Postby Riddler_Justin » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:13 am

I've seen that Tiamat one posted on reddit. Nice to talk to one if the people involved with that game!

Return to “General Game Discussion”