Mechanics for Brute Force?

Moderator: Global Moderator

Coynite

Mechanics for Brute Force?

Postby Coynite » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:34 am

Question for the Brute Force crew:

I love that you're using World of Darkness mechanics to play a fantasy game, and I want to try it out myself. What system or house rules are you using for spells?

Adam Bash
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mechanics for Brute Force?

Postby Adam Bash » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:08 pm

We got most of our spell structure from this unfinished fan made conversion: https://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/NWoD_Fantasy:Main_Page

We also scrounged a few low power spells from the Mage books, but some of that stuff is world-breakingly powerful.

The rest is pretty simple honestly. I took the ability list from vanilla WoD and replaced things like computers and drive with arcana and ride. We're very rp focused, which is good because I'm not super experienced in WoD combat. The crew's made it quite a few episodes already without trying to stab anyone, so we'll see what we have to do to make things work when that inevitably crops up.

Thanks for the interest! I'm enjoying the way WoD keeps most of the math out of the way for listeners so we can all focus on the story that's being made. I'd definitely recommend it for groups that value fluff over crunch.

Coynite

Postby Coynite » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:54 pm

Awesome, many thanks! Apparently I didn't Google hard enough when searching for home-brew conversions.

I also prefer to focus on the RP, which is why I like the WoD system so much. Less math, more flexibility, fewer bizarre and arbitrary limits based on class and level, yet more control when it does come time to fight.

Looking forward to more Brute Force -- the characters and story are a lot of fun!

PhilOfCalth

Postby PhilOfCalth » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:58 am

Hi guys, I've just found your podcast through Drunks and Dragons. Wow you guys do a great job! It is the sort of actual play podcast I've always been looking for!

I'm curious about something, about the same topic. Mechanics-wise how did you put together the different "races". Are they pulled from different obscure WoD books, or are they homebrewed?

Adam Bash
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Adam Bash » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:32 pm

The races are entirely homebrew. I let players pick any race imaginable and then I gave them a starting skill and/or attribute bonus tied to that.

We've since switched away from WoD, and have begun using Fate. Races don't have a skill bonus anymore, but some players have taken stunts that reflect their racial abilities.

PhilOfCalth

Postby PhilOfCalth » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Thanks for that Adam.

I'm really enjoying the podcast. I'm not a huge fan of Fate, but perhaps I'll change my mind after listening to a story/GM that I already like.

Return to “Brute Force”