A New Theory? A Hyperborean Theory.

Moderator: Global Moderator

bloodrider69

A New Theory? A Hyperborean Theory.

Postby bloodrider69 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:44 am

Howdy folks. I have a theory for the geekly inked hivemind. I think that GRR Martin has based much of his world on his literary forebearers especially Weird fiction, particularly hp lovecraft. You can see this in his use of hp/dreamlands placenames such a Leng, and his religion of the Drowned God and use of Krakens among the Ironborn. Also the Valyrians are reminiscent of Moorcock's Elric and his Melinbone. The whole world is very superficially reminiscent of the Dreamlands, though so are many fantasy settings.

The continent of Westeros, however, bears a striking resemblance to the Hyperborea, a continent developed by Weird fiction writer, poet, and artist Clarke Ashton Smith. It is a continent Which is slowly being covered by a glacier as the Ice Age returns and claims all life for the Ice Demons and other malign cold entities of the glacier. All cities eventually fall and it becomes greenland. I think this is the fate of Westeros (at least), and what would be more like GRR than to kill everyone (or most) that we care about, rendering the entire "Game of Thrones" futile. I think this is his endgame (and why). Your thoughts?

Return to “Cast of Thrones”