Anyone with some roll20 experience? (help)

Moderator: Global Moderator

deanishere

Anyone with some roll20 experience? (help)

Postby deanishere » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:54 pm

I'm starting up a new campaign with some out of town friends and I'm looking to use this to dm. Any hot tips on using the site? I've been playing around with it trying to make maps. Maybe it's the touch screen but it doesn't seem to be as user friendly as it says it is. Thanks ya'll!

Kalabajooie

Re: Anyone with some roll20 experience? (help)

Postby Kalabajooie » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:07 am

There is a bit of a learning curve to the site, not just for the DM but for players. I ran a game of Tiny Dungeon to record for YouTube and, even after the second attempt, I still don't know how to truly give players persistent control of their tokens.
The big thing I took away from it is a little command in the object menu called "convert to bitmap" or something along those lines. It gives you free reign to scale objects without them snapping to the grid which is handy for map tiles that don't quite line up. Once you're done scaling, use the "send to map layer" command to make it a map so objects and characters appear on top and can't move it around.
Otherwise, take some time before your game to watch the site's introductory and tutorial videos and just fiddle with it a bit. Have fun with it!
Watch me play games and hear my sonorous voice at http://www.youtube.com/Kalabajooie
Check out my Twitter maybe. http://www.twitter.com/WhatIsAClayton

Tim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tim » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:58 pm

It can be a pain in the bum, but the best way to learn is by poking around when you aren't on a deadline to finish things up for your players. Not everything is as intuitive as I would like, but with some good ol' fashioned elbow grease things will start to make sense.

One tip is to learn the layering of your objects. There should be different layers on the map for different times of things - maps, tokens etc. Learning that made things easier.

deanishere

Postby deanishere » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:54 pm

Thanks, I'm probably going to spend a lot of time just messing around on it trying to figure it out, as you said. I'm trying to avoid having my players waiting around for me while I try to move stuff around and change screens haha.

Return to “General Game Discussion”