Best and Worst D&D/Roleplaying Experiences

Moderator: Global Moderator

JamesKPolkerface

Re: Best and Worst D&D/Roleplaying Experiences

Postby JamesKPolkerface » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:42 am

Riddler_Justin wrote:I've seen that Tiamat one posted on reddit. Nice to talk to one if the people involved with that game!

Sweet, that was me that made and posted them there too! Glad to know they were memorable enough to stick with you!

shawn

Postby shawn » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:50 pm

I remember when I was new to D&D, and our dungeon master wanted to teach us that sometimes, it's better to run than to stay and fight an enemy that is too much for you to handle. We were playing with 2nd edition rules, so a double 20 meant automatic kill. There were only two of us in the party at the time (I think we had 1 fighter and 1 cleric), very low level (level 3 at BEST). We came across some Hill Giants, and double 20ed them. That was pretty awesome.

There was another time (same players, different campaign), where I was playing a Half Orc, and one of the other PCs was a dwarf. In the world we were playing in, Orcs and Dwarves were mortal enemies, so the person playing the Dwarf challenged me to a fist fight to prove my worth to the party. I rolled a double 20, which meant I knocked him out with one punch. We still laugh about that one.

Kalabajooie

Postby Kalabajooie » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:12 am

My tale is not so much of an experience as it is of a particular player. He's an experienced RPer and absolutely loves to write rich histories and backstories for his characters. When it comes to his style of play, however, he's far more of a powergamer.

My first experience actually playing with him was a 3.5 campaign run by a friend and themed directly upon The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim with the base rules tailored to suit that universe, down to available races and classes. The aforementioned player dug deep into 3.5's library of supplements and found the expertly-worded and ever-confusing Half-Dragon template and somehow convinced the DM to allow him to use it. Neither I nor the DM understood how it was intended to function; there was much confusion regarding the hit dice that were meant to be used, what "monster levels" meant in the leveling scheme, etc. The player took advantage of our ignorance and interpreted every last word of the template to be in his favor; the resulting monstrosity of a player character had about triple our hit points and strength beyond belief (I think at the end of the day his bonus was ~+8). In the week between character creation and campaign start, I conferred with the DM over my concerns, having spent hours reading and re-reading the cryptic template entry. I discerned that, yes, he should have crazy bonus strength, but the monster levels should have detracted from the class, not stacked with them, resulting in an archetypal "glass cannon." As the character was created and we were on the verge of starting, the DM just allowed it for the sake of keeping everyone happy.
By the third session of this short-lived campaign, the half-dragon had successfully gotten the kill shot on nearly every monster, forcibly opened the gates of two major outposts, and somehow forged upwards of 100 swords in a week's time (The DM also didn't understand crafting), making a ridiculous profit which was subsequently spent on crazy overleveled gear.

But that's not the end, oh no: After that campaign crashed and burned, we started to get the tabletop itch again, so I volunteered to DM my first campaign, this time in 4.0. After reading every book I could find, I found the system much harder to break in the manner the half-dragon attempted to with 3.5. For an extra layer of security, I implemented a point-buy system for starting abilities (this player was also fond of "cradle-deathing" characters with unfavorable ability rolls) so everyone would be on a much more level playing field. His choice of character? A Dragonborn Warlord with a STR of 18 before his race's +2, but naturally. Everything was kosher, though, so after I helped my wife with her powers and the mechanics of this new system, we dove into some first-level module that I forget the name of. He played his character well and everyone was having a good time hitting things with sharp sticks until we encountered our first "boss" enemy, a massive orc warrioress. I wasn't being too picky about targets, frequently selecting them either at random or based on damage dealt. The orc approached our Warlord and used what I believe was her encounter power, some crazy two-weapon attack with a pile of side effects.

I rolled to hit.

I critted. His Dragonborn was irrevocably splattered against the wall.

My first PC kill. And it was the one player who most thoroughly enjoyed having overpowered characters.

On the surface, I did feel a genuine sadness and apologized profusely as one might for running over a neighbor's cat. It was my first kill of my first campaign, after all. But deep down inside, and once we had retired for the night, I was giddy as a small child receiving an NES on his birthday.

I let him roll up a new character for the next session. His choice? A Dragonborn Warlord, this time with "only" 18 STR and a bit more CON.
Watch me play games and hear my sonorous voice at http://www.youtube.com/Kalabajooie
Check out my Twitter maybe. http://www.twitter.com/WhatIsAClayton

edhardy85

Postby edhardy85 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:30 am

Not really D & D, but I created a great game involving time travel, and using some knock off characters. All players started off as humans, and only using their background story, was how they could "evolve". One of my favorite memories was when I had them travel into the future, where they landed on a game show. There were 4 players, each with one character, and 4 characters that I controlled. After going 3 or 4 rounds on the quiz part of the game, the highest scoring player got to pick 3 characters, and the lowest scoring player was automatically thrown into "The Pit". My friends are sharp as a tack, lol. They decided to throw the game show host, along with other crew members into "The Pit", because they answered a single question.

After that, they traveled to Japan, where they encountered a 10 foot spider, needless to say that it ate most of the characters. I told everyone to create at least 1 male, and 1 female. All the Female characters were safe from the spider. I myself played a "Blonde", she was the joke of every scenario. They tried to kill her off every time, but her luck was at 99, so as long as she rolled a 2 or better, she was always safe.

Adaquin

Postby Adaquin » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:06 am

I played a 3.5 campaign with a few friends and my long time gf, Kief . I played a gnoll fighter and Kief played a centaur sorcerer. Another player who tended to derail our quest with his antics played a Minotaur barbarian named Mordoth. One of the best "worst" things to happen to our group. He was great at finding alternative solutions to group challenges usually through tomfoolery or just attacking things. Keif got tired of him messing up our plans so she approached the player and our DM in game and proposed a contract where she would provide mage armor to the Minotaur at the start of all battles in exchange for a +15 to persuasion against the Minotaur so she could control him better. Essentially Kief would have to roll at least a 4 and she could tell him what to do and he would have to do it. This came to a head an a terrible time for the group. We were hunting another Minotaur warlord that had been raiding the local country side. We ran across a dwarven caravan heading to a local dwarven citadel . Mordoth being mordoth decided to pretend to be the said evil minotaur and proceed to scare the caravan cheif. Kief, wanting to not have to fight a bunch of innocent dwarves decided to user her agreement over our minotaur and commanded him to knock it off. Sadly Kief rolled a nat 1. So instead of yelling " Mordoth No!" she choked on a fly and said " More death now!"

There were no caravan survivors.
Gnoll Fanatic

mandiblegrip

Postby mandiblegrip » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:32 am

I used to play a tabletop roleplaying game called MERP (Middle Earth Roleplaying) by Iron Crown Enterprises. It’s a d100 based system and I have very fond memories of playing it, the creators put a lot of effort into ensuring faithfulness to the lore and history of Middle Earth. In any case, my favourite part of it was when you would score a critical hit. Scoring a critical meant rolling and looking up your score on a specific table (for example, there is a slashing critical table, a puncture critical table, a heat critical table, etc.). Some choice excerpts from the tables:

“Nervous system acts as a superconductor. Instant death provides all with a fine lightshow.”

“Blast annihilates entire skeleton. Reduced to a gelatinous pulp. Try a spatula.”

“Strike through ear destroys brain. The unfortunate lummox dies instantly, and any ear wax is removed.”

“You fall. The resulting concussion causes a year-long coma.”

Good times.

IonBadger

Postby IonBadger » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:21 am

4th ed D&D:

It was the first character or game any of us had played. Fairly simple group. Elf rouge name Elf. (refused to tell us his name), Thiefling fighter name Calamity, and my character Halfling Wizard called Ralas. We had to kill 3 people in town before we left. The other two took out their targets at the same time when they were meeting. My character sneaked into the basement of the last targets house. Filled with aged wine and other alcohols. Stole a load of the stuff, satchel was filled with it. Used the dumbwaiter in the basement to get to his study on top floor. bottled him with some high alcohol content wine and then flame pillar him. He explodes into flame and I take the dumb waiter down again. Steal another two bottles and set the basement on fire to try and make it look like it was an accident. Have to get out of the compound but it has a 10 foot wall. Roll a nat 20 to scale it. Since we had just started to play we didn't really get that a Nat 20 meant that we did it perfectly, not as we did at the time, think it meant we broke all laws of physics. So here's 3 foot something Ralas running with bottles of wine in both hands and sticking out of his satchel and in a single leap clearing the 10 foot wall, as a building behind him explodes. Hits the ground running and legs it to the tavern. Runs in the door, jumps up on a stool, swings around, pull up his hood and squeals "Wiiiiizard!".
We still reference it years on ;D

failedrevolution

Postby failedrevolution » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:41 am

Oh, I'd have to say that some of my funniest memories come from the stupid mistakes I made as a brand-spanking new player. I will say that the group I started with was pretty well-balanced but favored a videogame like progression of the story and combat (they really liked the 4e mechanics.) Now when I excitedly started playing D&D it was because of the prospect of improving and telling stories and creating characters.

So during one of my very first sessions the party got some kind of lead on a temple of Tiamat and the party is comprised of Bahamut followers. Now, in this particular game world, the moral balance is pretty black and white. I don't know this, I'm thinking that there are all kinds of grey shades. I'm thinking that Tiamat followers are probably pretty shady, maybe they stink a little, maybe they're kind of rude and whatnot.

So while most of the party sees "this is literally a house full of evil, let's clean up," all I see is "...my new friends busted into a church and started murdering people during services..." So on my turn instead of engaging in combat I tried to start some dialogue and get control of the situation. I just remember the look on my DM's face and him not knowing what to do. This of course led a confused Tiamat follower to thwap my character on the head with his weapon.

Another early flub was when we were doing a one-shot to give the DM a chance to enjoy the game as a player. Well we came to this moment where a PC was in trouble with a devil and a soul was at risk. So there became a suggestion of gambling for souls and rescuing this PC. So, I kind of railroaded myself thinking "well this is what we are doing, right? Its like an "event" alright my character will volunteer to help." Meanwhile EVERYONE else is like "nope, not doing that. I'm playing my character and my character is not having any of this..."

By far though, my most fun moment in D&D was very recently, as a DM in fact. My party was in a precarious situation...inside of a collapsing building. Now they are basically in a loading bay AKA the door is literally right there. In fact, as one of my players decided to swap to a new character, his old character was going to heroically sacrifice himself so they could LEAVE through the door that was RIGHT THERE. Well one of them decides to start looting bodies, the other goes off to interrogate someone if memory serves...Cut to a bunch of failed saving throws and me having to either TPK or figure something out. Well, because they were in a town that was already sort of a reference to H.P. Lovecraft and to Gotham City, I had them wake up in an ornate mansion and slowly piece it together that they were being greeted by this world's version of Alfred because they had been rescued by this world's version of Batman. It wasn't TOTALLY a Deus Ex Machina because the whole Batman~y thing (The Wraith... in this world...) was an idea I discarded before they got to the city. I incorporated a scaled down version of the idea thread because the idiots didn't walk through the door in the crumbling building.

Adsm17

Postby Adsm17 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:53 am

Natural 20 my arse! Your party comes to a deep crevasse. It's 25' wide at the narrowest point. There is a wide ledge on the other side. What do you do?

PC1. I'm going to get a run & jump it.
ME. It's 25'.
PC1. I've got a great athletic bonus.
PC2. You'll never make it.
PC1. *rolls 20* Yes! 20 plus my bonus!
Me. Your form is beautiful as you plummet to your death, what are the rest if you doing?
PC1. Wait, I rolled 20.
Me. A 20 doesn't let you defy physics. The greatest Olympian couldn't make that jump in underwear, let alone in armor.
PC2. He warned you dumbass!
PC1. Whining all night that I'm unfair.

What say you? Should I protect PC's from themselves?

failedrevolution

Postby failedrevolution » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:24 pm

Adsm17 wrote:Natural 20 my arse! Your party comes to a deep crevasse. It's 25' wide at the narrowest point. There is a wide ledge on the other side. What do you do?

PC1. I'm going to get a run & jump it.
ME. It's 25'.
PC1. I've got a great athletic bonus.
PC2. You'll never make it.
PC1. *rolls 20* Yes! 20 plus my bonus!
Me. Your form is beautiful as you plummet to your death, what are the rest if you doing?
PC1. Wait, I rolled 20.
Me. A 20 doesn't let you defy physics. The greatest Olympian couldn't make that jump in underwear, let alone in armor.
PC2. He warned you dumbass!
PC1. Whining all night that I'm unfair.

What say you? Should I protect PC's from themselves?

No, there's nothing you can do there... If that character thought it was a good idea to leap into the pit of a 25' crevice it doesn't sound like he/she wasn't long for your world anyway. If it wasn't a deep crevice it would have probably been trying to solo a mindflayer or jumping right into a purple worm :P

billielurk

Postby billielurk » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:30 pm

Here's a little mishap that went down recently:

I'm the DM, my party has tracked down a criminal contact of theirs and discovered she's being interrogated by a bandit captain and an annis hag (at level 5, this is a pretty difficult encounter for them, but lately they've been wiping out deadly encounters like they're nothing, so I stepped up the difficulty a little).

Two rounds in, and the fight is not going well. The annis hag has picked up the fighter in a death hug, allowing the bandit captain to wreak havoc on the party's wizard and artificer. Our rogue has been flubbing her rolls to hide in the same room as the fight, so she ducks around a corner--and discovers a loot chest waiting in the bandit's office. So naturally she has to stop everything she's doing to try and get it open, while the wizard accidentally put the fighter into death saving throws with a lighting bolt and the artificer, being a gnome, can't reach high enough to get a healing draught into the fighter's mouth. The rogue wastes an entire turn with the discovery that the chest contains a magic trap she can't disarm.

TLDR: our dps hero got distracted with a boobytrapped treasure chest, half the party almost died, the fighter actually died, and the whole band had to rush to a temple and waste almost all their PP reviving her. It was a good day to be the DM.

nborge2000

Postby nborge2000 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:49 am

I applaud you being a DM myself

Adsm17

Postby Adsm17 » Sun May 28, 2017 12:49 am

Don't you-all hate DM's with imagination. Our party stole a few Golden Dragon Eggs and he arrests our party. He placed our hands into pots of Honey and cast Destroy Water on the honey making the honey as strong as Amber(so no Somatic Casting). To prevent us from using verbal spells he gagged us, and the gags had pacifiers in them to restrict our ability to cast Verbal spells. The only one that got away was the Druid, and he was the one that wanted Dragon Plate mail armor.
Really, DM's shouldn't be able to hamper our ability to escape that much. We suffered the march back to Waterdeep for 2 weeks and received our punishment.

not my

Monster Rigs

Postby Monster Rigs » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:41 pm

dr0wwarr10r wrote:I'm sure everyone has experience with a player who just wants to screw everything that moves, I found a PDF supplement called blue magic: nymphology.  If anyone is having trouble I highly recommend this supplement.  From fiendish dire crabs to mordenkanens groping hand and the plane of lust, it will suit your needs.  I wound up solving my problem by using a creature i think called a knobgobbler. 

Hahaha I know that type! I personally always wanted to rule the world playing a very bad Necromancer. I like the ends of the spectrum, they provide me with endless thoughts of ambitious activities. You sound like a very good DM, laid back and able to evolve the storyline to suit the actions of your players; to provide an atmosphere to live in. My group doesnt play anymore but after 30 years of it, we were morphing in to those storylines where we had to follow them and that was taking the fun out of it for me. It was like everquest; directed slaughter to level.

MatthewKhaos

Postby MatthewKhaos » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:45 pm

As for my best (this one sounds a little simple but I loved it) it would have to be when I was playing a Azer (dwarf with a permanent fire shield) rogue. My character was level 1 and I was trying to break into this weapons shop (Our DM at the time liked to run us a little bit on our own before getting the party together.) and everything was going splendidly until I critically failed my final stealth roll. My character ends up knocking over a full suit of full plate armor and wakes the owner up. We go into combat and I ended up going first and ended up doing some damage with my short sword. What's funny is even though I got hit on the owners turn because of the 1D6 fire damage from my fire shield, he ended up dying when he hit me lol. Honestly anytime with that particular gaming group I would consider to be one of my best because we all clicked and had fun. As for my worst would have to be when we added this new guy to the and he would just lie about what he had and he just sucked all the fun out of it

Return to “General Game Discussion”